Are these REALLY akoyas?

Lhayes67

I saw these for auction on eBay and was just curious as to what y'all's opinions are. The current bid is $18.50, which doesn't quite make sense if they're really akoyas. However, they are vintage, but I still thought they would cost at least several hundred bucks. I'm not buying them. Just wondering.

Here's the link. Scroll down for some good pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-6-7...t=Vintage_Costume_Jewelry&hash=item4d0bb67b8b

Thanks!

Lara

I think they are, based on their roundness (there's a bead nucleus) and the fact that there is variation in the overtones of the pearls (not fake). The gold clasp also argues in that favor.

The pearls are not very large (6-7mm) and the necklace is a choker (short)-- and pearls do not hold their value the way gold does. However, with 6 bidders, the price will climb before the auction ends.

The pearls are not graduated; it was common for strands in WWII/Korean War era to be graduated to keep costs down. This probably means they are not that old. I think people nowadays don't generally prefer graduated necklaces, so this will help the auction price to climb also.

Last edited:
Actually now that I look closer I see they are somewhat graduated. My eyes must be tired. More reason to believe them to be akoyas.

I think they are real based on the difference of the overtones. But it will be best if you ask if they have any pearl certificate. =)

Back