Nucleus in freshwater pearls?

C

Casey.R

We have a local bead store that sells strands of pearls and glass beads etc... Anyway I was looking at one of the freshwater pearl strands and noticed that at the edges of some of the pearls ( where they had been drilled) they were peeling and exposing what looked like an ugly plastic center. First of all I thought freshwaters were tissue nucleated. Second, I don't know how they can even call something like these pearls. They were mostly plastic, or what looked like plastic with a thin layer of pearl coating. But they were selling them in the pearl section. Is this normal?

Normal? No... I don't think so. But possible.

Nucleated freshwater pearls exist, mostly 'tadpole' baroques. They have been discussed around here (try a search for 'nucleated freshwater').

And plastic nuclei have at least been experimented with. Haven't seen any FWP nucleated with plastic, but the scenario makes sense - these nuclei are supposed to be way cheap compared to the shell ones and FWS are competing on price still...

My 2c

Sorry to hear about disappointing pearls :eek:

Are you sure they weren't just faux pearls? It definitely sounds like they are to me.

They looked like freshwater strands do when I see them at beading supply stores. In big hanks and dyed all types of colors, sorted into different shapes and near he semi precious stones. But yeah they could be imitation pearls and I never would have guessed. I will ask next time I'm in the store.

Hi Casey,

It's probable that what you saw are really non-nucleated freshwater pearls with a layer of nacre peeled off. It happens. The next layer of nacre may look like a bead because the freshwaters, as you say, are dyed.

I think those south sea shell pearls are becoming available everywhere too!!
Pattye

I agree nuclei does not appear like plastic - sounds like fakes to me.

I agree with Perlas. It is common in low grade to see one layer peel back. The next layer looks like a bead. That is how pearl peeling (the art) works. But, it should not look like plastic. If it is indeed plastic, the pearl is fake.

Hi Guys

I would guess at fake - if you are talking of Quiapo and the beading shops there, they are full of plastic fakes that look like cheap freshwater, a lot of the fabric stores that sell beads have these too. Real strange thing to immitate! But I think most of them are used in dress making as they are lighter than the real thing.

Lucy

Lucy, I'm in San Francisco California. I have yet to go back in there and have another look, because I'm with my 14 month old everyday and she loves the bead store a little too much (tries to grab everything). But I do plan to go back there at some point and ask.

Hi, Casey,

Gently touch the pearls together, and if they do not feel gritty they are fake.

J. Larry Railey
Raily & Associates

Back