nucleated FW versus SS: differences?

starsinthesea

Hi everyone,
I?ve been reading in this forum for quite some time and now decided to join you. I was wondering whether someone could give me some answers or point me to the correct thread already discussing this: While reading on this forum I found out that there are quite some similarities about bead-nucleated freshwater pearls and south seas. As far as I understood, especially free-form or baroque south seas are looking similar to nucleated baroque freshwaters. But I haven?t found a satisfying answer on how to differentiate between them!
So, what are the differences? Is it mainly about colour, shape and blemishes (like dimples)? And is there a dead giveaway for either a nucleated freshwater or a south sea (in baroque and round form)? Does someone have some good photos that shows those differences?

I don't understand why no one answers.
Are the differences between SSP and nucleated FW just very obvious and I have misunderstood something? Or does the problem just not arise because sellers always declare whether they sell big looking (nucleated) FW or SS pearls?
Any reply would be nice, thank you!

HI. No idea why your question got missed before. Welcome and sorry.
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. Both types have a bead inside and tend to be big. The bead does influence shape in each case, obviously.
but, since the pearls come from entirely different species of mollusc, one freshwater and one saltwater, that is where the similarities end really.
Colour, lustre and surface will be different. Freshwaters (and seawater for that matter) pearls dyed to look like the best coloured SS still tend to look a bit earwax yellow
Your question is like asking how do you tell the difference between a pot of jam and a pot of marmite. If you can be more specific it might be easier to help more

Welcome, starsinthesea.

I also didn't see your thread before now-- occasionally new threads don't appear bolded for some reason and may be overlooked.

I think this is actually a good topic for discussion, now that large nucleated freshwaters are being sold.

On eBay (for example) it is common for freshwaters to be deceptively sold as akoyas, and dyed freshwaters as Tahitians.
Now presumably nucleated freshwaters will be/are being sold as SSP.

"Caveat emptor" always, but buyers need to know how to beware. I'm not sure I would recognize the difference between the two. Perhaps it takes seeing many, handling many, to gain the experience to tell the difference?

Wendy, you mentioned the slight yellowishness of the freshwaters. But I see some slightly yellowish SSP in vendor photos as well.

Hi, thank you so much for answering! I do understand what you mean! It's just that I see a lot of pictures on the Internet and also on this Forum and don't see many differences between FW an SS (especially in baroque form). But then, I'm very new to pearls!
So maybe it's easier if you could explain the differences in pictures? Here are some links to Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/169455...auto5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

https://www.etsy.com/listing/172142...evant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

https://www.etsy.com/listing/172485...age=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Those baroque/teardrop forms of the pearls just look the same to me. Should different species of mollusc not produce different forms/shapes? Of course I see differences in colour. But I don't see it in form. Is this because there is none? Or could you possibly try to point out the differences in the shape of the different pearls (in the pictures above) you see?
Thank you for your help!

I'm thinking it's more the qualities (and colors) of the nacre that may be the giveaway since they can all form in drop and baroque shapes.

I will also state the obvious: Buy from a reputable vendor. Ultimately that is the safest way when buying pearls and gems (as well as antiques and many other things.)

Last edited:
Welcome,
I am not sure that any of the ones you listed from Etsy are actually SS pearls. # 3 seller has a listing for tahitians that look to be dyed freshwaters. It is hard to educate ones self from photos off Etsy and ebay as there are so many fraudulent sellers. Better to study photos of the products at Pearl Paradise. Better yet, handle them in person.

I see the one you are referring to, Marianne, and good point. The $425 ones look like FWP to me, too. And if the vendor is misdescribing one item, who's to say they are not misdescribing more than one?

I see your points! Yes, it would be great to handle those pearls in person! But as it is, I have only few pearls and only some single, very bad quality SSP. To be honest, I don't even know if they're real. Maybe I should take some picture and let you decide!
So do you think that seeing differences between FW and SS is more of an acquired skill that needs time to develop?

And how about this necklace? It was also on Etsy, sorry (but I'll make sure to study pictures from Pearl Paradise and the other reputable websites from now on). What do you think of this one? It seems the necklace has been sold recently, but I saw it some time ago and now wonder about it....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218850...erest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

Thanks!

It may have been SSP. But she does not seem to have any idea of quality.
"Luster: high luster
"Nacre: Very Thick, lustrous"

That is not my idea of lustrous nacre.

Just looking at another strand of hers with akoyas, she says the nacre is "very thick, lustrous" when the closeup shows thin nacre that is peeling badly around a drill hole.

You do get what you pay for.

This last strand, "silver south sea" also appears to be color treated or dyed freshwater pearls (bead nucleated). You've received excellent advice already. Hopefully you live where you can visit stores that sell pearls, or host gem fairs.

When you do a search on ebay and even etsy, many of the listings are misidentified, so looking at them is only confusing. There are many photos on the threads here that you can learn from as well as from vendor pics. Enjoy your journey!

Yup. The reason you can't see any difference between those freshwaters and south sea is that every one of them is freshwater (also the akoyas aren't top rank akoyas).
There are so many people walking around with 30cm noses. The thing is these sellers are buying these 'estate' and 'antique' strands off ebay and alibaba where they are mis-sold and mis-described every time and just copying the incorrect descriptions.
Does it ever cross their minds to wonder why the pearls they are buying are so cheap? Do they actually know and deliberately lie or are they as gullible and easily fooled as their customers?

Hi, starsinthesea. The photos you posted from Etsy are of Freshwater pearls. They are sometimes misnamed by sellers who aren't really familiar with the product. South Sea pearls would never be that cheap and do have a slightly different look to them.

For me some pearl shapes look very much like the ones on Etsy. To be honest, I feel a bit stupid for not noticing real differences. I'm sorry if I ask too much!

Back