Newby to Pearls- LOOKING FOR COURSE ADVICE

weejesster

Hi,

I'm sorry to come onto your forum with such little knowledge, but we all have to start somewhere I guess.
I've been in the jewellery trade for almost 20 years, but never really paid much attention to pearls, till a few years ago.
But I'm now getting quite fascinated with them. But there is only so much I can pick up from books and the internet.
So my question is, does anyone know of any pearl grading or even just basic educational courses in the uk?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Jess

I can't answer about what might be available in actual classes in the UK, but GIA does have a distance course. Then again, this would be another book and the course covers far less than you will find here on Pearl-Guide. The in-person class that GIA has here in the states is a one-day event with limited hands-on experience and limited expertise.

Pearl guide indeed is the best course there is ! Gia does lab classes in london and otherwise the three day class in Antwerp by the IGI is close. Think when you just check in here once every while and read the latest topics you will have more knowledge and a way more up to date knowledge then any of the courses can offer you.

Last edited:
Welcome, Jess,

Yes, there are 2 separate courses that are taken to receive the Graduate Pearls diploma, the online course and the pearl grading course. These do not have to be taken in any specific order, and a certificate is earned for each. They offered the 2 day grading course in my town, so I took it first.

At the time I took the online course, there was an option to make interest free payments, which was great for me. Also, some scholarships are offered yearly, worth checking out.

Elizabeth Strack's book, PEARLS, is a good investment and very detailed reference. Both this book and the GIA online course are not completely current, with all the new developments in cfwp. As Jeremy says, Pearl-Guide forum is great for keeping up with the latest. I completely agree.

I was able to complete the online course quickly, having been a forum member for about 7-8 years, and find having the credential an asset.

Hi! Thanks guys for getting in touch!

I've been in touch with GIA, so it's a thought!!

I'm sorry if I misunderstood-does Pearl guide do courses?

And thanks for the book ref....I'll check it out & definately get back on here more!

Thanks all for taking time to get in touch-i really appreciate it!

😊

Jess

Volunteer to assist a pearl dealer at shows. They might like the assistance if nothing more than watching the booth while they are having a break.

Thanks everyone! That's really helpful!
So lots of reading it is for now! And ill have a think about the GIA course!

:)

I am on the tail end of the GIA online course for validation purposes its a good course.
However Jeremy is right, this is by far the best place to gain pearl knowledge (he should know too!). Pearl-Guide members take pearls very seriously and the info here is so much more robust.
I wish the GIA took pearls more seriously but it is what it is, the GIA course is good for someone with no clue about pearls and getting started but it is no comparison to the combined skills, experience and advice you can get here on this forum. Like you I've had a past jewelry life and I know somethings about pearls, but in just browsing the boards here I've learned more in one sitting than I have in all the past lectures, vendor meetings and product previews I've attended over the years.

I can't answer about what might be available in actual classes in the UK, but GIA does have a distance course. Then again, this would be another book and the course covers far less than you will find here on Pearl-Guide. The in-person class that GIA has here in the states is a one-day event with limited hands-on experience and limited expertise.

Back