Newbie looking for help on pearls (similar to Miki hallmark)

missmarie253

First off, I just want to thank everyone in advance for helping me. I found these at an antique show over the weekend. Yes they do have a silver clasp, and a similar oyster shell mark to the Mikimoto company, but instead of an M, there is a T.

Any suggestions on identifying provenance and a possible maker?

Thank you so much. :eek:

Attachments

• miki.jpg
    miki.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 47
  • miki1.jpg
    miki1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 46
Can you shoot only the clasp with the macro setting (small flower) of your camera? I don't recognize the logo, but it appears to be one of two markings. The pearls appear to be vintage akoya.

Thanks for the help. Here is a cropped photo. Please let me know if this is inadequate and I will dig them out and reshoot them.

Attachments

• miki2.jpg
    miki2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 37
I have never seen this hallmark before. The patterns on either side are interesting too. The pearls themselves don't appear to be in the best shape, unfortunately. The fact that they aren't graduated in the 3.5 momme style probably means they aren't more than a half century old either.

Pearlescence - hallmarks are a big deal on your side of the pond. Do you have a method of researching them?

Hi Jeremy.
Yes, hallmarks - or more correctly sponsor's marks are the marks on precious metal which identify what metal, where and when the item was made and who made it. They are the origin of the phrase 'making one's mark' because that is exactly what I do. Hold my unique sponsor's mark punch on every piece made and wallop it into the metal with a big hammer! (though now marks can also be lasered on)
Those marks on the piece on this thread are not hallmarks. They may be some sort of logo - like the mikimoto m in a shell (which is not a hallmark but a trade logo. It can only really be a hallmark when it has been to Goldsmith's Hall in London to be marked) . A sponsor's mark will always have two or three initials.
An item doesn't get marked unless the metal is up to 'proof'. I applied some 18ct gold to some silver rings and it came back with a stern note that I was to sell it as sterling silver with 'other metal'
The date is shown by an initial in a specific shape.
lots of info available for a brief search 'hallmarks'

The S in the Box tells you that the clasp is silver! I'm also trying to research the T inside the Clam......

It might be a Tasaki pearl hallmark. They are another company from Japan with nice quality pearls.

Back