New tin cup project

JerseyPearl I would like to make a tin cup necklace as a present, what wire do you use with your yellow gold chain tin cups?
Katbran I missed your tin cup necklace before, it's so cool.

I would love to know more. My brain knows how to wire wrap but hands won't cooperate now. Is dead soft 14k gold wire strong enough; does it need to be work hardened in any way? Thanks to all for sharing!

Thanks so much JerseyPearl and Lady_Disdain! I am about to order a bit of wire, and that really helps :)

Cathy, if you are doing wire wraps for the first time, make sure you order some copper wire/craft wire to practice with! You don't want to use 14k wire until you've perfected your technique. I also keep a very small plastic baggie to collect the small bits of scrap from wire clippings. If you do several projects, those scraps do add up.

Thanks JerseyPearl ... these hands are so bad I'm not sure what I can do. I had a hard time with the copper wire at the Ruckus. I KNOW what to do; the hands won't obey, so not likely there will be any perfected technique here ... :( But good advice, and appreciated :)

My brain can LOL ... the thumbs disagree, sometimes vehemently ... but I will try :)

Thanks JerseyPearl ... I will try! Will be a bit; right now hubby
and I are keeping company with water, fish, crabs, osprey and eagles on Maryland shore.

Sounds wonderful! We have a pair of osprey who fish on our beach every day. I marvel watching them dive in the ocean to catch fish...they are far better at it than my son. He did catch a fluke the other day, but it was a small one that had to be throw back. He was trying for a striped bass. Oh well. Enjoy your vaca!

We caught nothing keepable so far except the crabmeat I bought LOL, and of course a very excited little grandson .. and some "VERY Dangerous killer jellyfish MomMom"! They too were released from their Tupperware prison with no harm done :)

Thanks JerseyPearl ... I will try! Will be a bit; right now hubby
and I are keeping company with water, fish, crabs, osprey and eagles on Maryland shore.

We are heading to the Eastern Shore (St. Michaels) later this month. I've never been there and am looking forward to the trip. Are you on the beach side or the harbor side?

Pretty there Pinkjewel :) We have a friend who had a boat near St. Michael's for a while. We're further south a bit, on St. Mary's River, which puts us near mouth of south Potomac and entrance to Chesapeake. Parked the travel trailer at a campground with marina, then went home for our little boat. Going back to PA today for family, then back down for a couple weeks. Hope you have a great time!

Pretty there Pinkjewel :) We have a friend who had a boat near St. Michael's for a while. We're further south a bit, on St. Mary's River, which puts us near mouth of south Potomac and entrance to Chesapeake. Parked the travel trailer at a campground with marina, then went home for our little boat. Going back to PA today for family, then back down for a couple weeks. Hope you have a great time!
Thanks, Cathy- I've always heard it was a pretty area. We're not going to trailer our boat, though as it's partly a Sporting Clays vacation. It's something both my husband and I enjoy and there are a couple of good courses not too far from St. Michaels. And I always heard there was nice shopping in St. Michaels which is always a prerequisite for my vacation spots-lol. :)

There are so many good videos on wire wrapping out there..that's where I learned the technique. I second LadyD's advice on the loop... try to keep it round and no larger that the links of the chain ... or at least as close as you can get to the link size. Makes a big difference if the wrap is nicely rounded and not too big.

Just to confess...I still get so involved in the wrapping that at times I finish off a wrap and realise I didn't attach it to the next bit of chain..lol

Back