Need stringing solution for heavy multistrand project

DCP

Hi, I am planning a series of necklaces, each has approx 36 strands of 5mm cultured pearls.
Designed with a sturdy fabric tie instead of a clasp so they can be worn as a choker or at different lengths depending on where the bow is tied.
The connection between the fabric tie and the strands is a solid silver cast 'loop' (quite big, around 14x16mm, 3mm thickness/gauge)

The problem i am having;
* If I string the pearls on BEADERS SECRET, then the the string will be on display as it wraps around the cast silver loop. 36 strands is a lot of string to be on show and is something i don't want as a design feature.
* If i used GIMP, i seriously doubt it it would maintain shape and integrity with so many strands
* I am not in love with WIRE GUARDIANS for this project, and they are probably too small anyway
* considering making U-shaped silver tubes to wrap around the cast silver loop, grouping the strands together (say approx 8 per tube) - but im concerned the tube edges will wear the thread over time

I am considering using coated stainless steel like Beadalon beading wire, which would mean using crimp beads for construction. I would need to cover the crimps, and the silver ball covers are not an option as i want the strands to be purely pearl. I Could drill a very wide hole in the end pearls to cover the crimp, but concerned the execution might look a little clumsy. I considered making the cast silver loop to be hollow from the back, holes drilled through to the hollow, the bead wire threaded through the holes to be finished with crimps inside. Would the weight of the piece compromise the strength of the crimps in this case though?

What am I not thinking of? There MUST be some alternative solutions out there. Please help! THANKYOU!

Here are some ideas; you'd have to use a large cone though, and taper the parts of the strand that fit into the cone; maybe even use tiny beads instead of pearls for the ends of the strands inside the cone:

An interesting challenge, DCP. Do you have your pearls already? I would make a mockup with the number of strands, some sort of rings and attach the 36 strands of pearls plus the ribbon you will be using.
This KJL necklace seems like it has lots of volume, similar to what you are envisioning with pearls. Here the multiple strands tie into loops soldered onto the finding. An option would be to make your sterling pieces larger and more solid, with an offset opening to attach your fabric tie. On the back side would be multiple soldered loops to tie the strands into. Just some thoughts~

I should also add, some type of cone would be a solid, tried and true choice, as others have suggested.
https://www.halsbrook.com/shop/kenn...aces/amazonite-multistrand-necklace-29870.htm

Last edited:
An interesting challenge, DCP. Do you have your pearls already? I would make a mockup with the number of strands, some sort of rings and attach the 36 strands of pearls plus the ribbon you will be using.
This KJL necklace seems like it has lots of volume, similar to what you are envisioning with pearls. Here the multiple strands tie into loops soldered onto the finding. An option would be to make your sterling pieces larger and more solid, with an offset opening to attach your fabric tie. On the back side would be multiple soldered loops to tie the strands into. Just some thoughts~

https://www.halsbrook.com/shop/kenn...aces/amazonite-multistrand-necklace-29870.htm
Hi Pattye :) Yes I have pearls already. The fist batch are icy grey Lombok pearls.
Thanks for the link, it does give a good solution. I am still trying to find a more seamless and clean way to link the pearls up to the backing tie, one cast element that hides all the threads is what I am ideally trying to achieve. it could incorporate a conical space to gather all the strands...

Here are some ideas; you'd have to use a large cone though, and taper the parts of the strand that fit into the cone; maybe even use tiny beads instead of pearls for the ends of the strands inside the cone:

Thanks for the ideas. I had thought of using a cone, however that would require more than one element to join the pearls to the backing tie and i am trying to stick to one. It has made me think about incorporating the cone into the cast link piece (instead of a plain loop). but where do the strands go to tie off....

Hi DCP, the necklaces sound amazing!
Could you go with your hollow cast loop idea, but use gimp looped through the drilled holes as opposed to a crimp holding the weight? I always worry using wire and crimps, would much rather knot any day!

Back