Natural white Hanadama vs White Hanadama

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious if this question was ever answered. I'm looking into a couple of loose [natural] hanadama that will be drilled at PP and placed onto endless, large, white gold hoop earrings. I know my preference while I am building my collection is always white-washed, but for style's sake I am curious why I should be looking into maybe getting the pinked pearls. I mean, those are the ones that are usually more readily available, correct, so maybe they are considered more stylish?

Thanks! MrsD
So, I also want to know -

1) Why the big push to 'pink' the pearls? The Natural Whites seem gorgeous the way they are (to me), white.

2) When did 'pinking' start?

4) Will we see less 'pinking' in the future? Is the demand for natural-white pearls high enough to justify a change in Pinking policy?

This is tricky. I have a strand of pinked hanadama from PP. I actually took them back to PP when I visited recently to see them side-by-side with natural whites. The pinked definitely look white against my skin. They are both beautiful. If I could do it again, I might have chosen a natural white hanadama strand. But they are truly both gorgeous and the pinked is perhaps a more "traditional" akoya look.

The best way to answer your question for yourself is to see both natural and pinked against your skin to see which you prefer. The "right" answer is the one you like best. (Just like choosing wine or beer -- the "best" is whichever you like best!)

Hi there, MrsD, I'm still curious as well; I suspect the questions have been answered in various places on the forum but I'd love to have the answers all together.

To condense what I've read on PG;
I think pinking started because the Japanese felt
1)it was more flattering to their golden skin tones and
2) it made it easier to blend pearls into a more even-colored, harmonious looking strand

I don't think there'll be any big push to stop pinking because there are still way more golden-hued and brown-hued people than pink-hued people in the world. Even so, skin tones seem to contain at least 2 tones no matter the top intensity of color, so shouldn't there be at least a little increase in demand for non-pinked?

We're like pearls, or the three notes of perfumes, aren't we?

Markets drive everything, so non-pinked will remain a niche. I think Jeremy's description of how the natural-color pearls are selected to not be pinked will probably be the most thorough, if I could only find it quickly.

I hope someone will confirm or correct the conclusions, because I'm not a pro. Others here know more, and I want to know what I missed.

I'd still like to know;
~how Permanent is pinking?
~and if Lake Biwa pearls were/are pinked? Probably yes? because Jeremy said its a standard part of maeshori.

Last edited:
I sure do love the nuances of color! BAS hits the nail on the head, the best way to see what looks good and what you love is IRL.

How about taking a photo of the inside of your wrist, and sending it to PP to get their opinion about your modifier-skin-tones, if you aren't sure yourself?

Last edited:
I definitely agree that each person has their own opinion of what is "best." I never thought of having them look at a picture of my wrist... That is creative. I will keep it in mind. I like your analysis of pinking, and your further questions. Another reason that I am drawn to naturals is due to longevity. Will the pinked Akoyas look the similar in 10, 20 years? Since these pearls will not be touching my skin, I am not worried about wear of the nacre as much as the color fading in an uneven way. Thanks for the replies :)

I have akoya from 40+ years ago and they have not faded unevenly at all! I assume they were traditionally "pinked".

That's very helpful BAS. I agree and also would assume that they were "pinked" from way back when. I would love to get 40+ years from this purchase!

Wow, cool analytical thinking, MrsD! It never occurred to me that pinking might wear unevenly.

Thanks. It's what I do--think too much ;)

I don't think that's possible! I'm looking forward to your future posts :)

I've never read anything to make me think that the pinking treatment is anything but permanent or that it would age unevenly.

Pearls tend to change color/yellow over time because of what they come in contact with: skin oils, lotions, makeup, etc. Keeping them clean probably helps but some changes may be inevitable.

Almost all akoya pearls are pinked to some degree. The "Natural White" akoyas are a very tiny percentage of the market, but they appear to be growing on people. :) I know I love mine!

Back