natural or synthetic nuclei?

I was wondering as I read the exchanges, why you were being so pesky. I hope Dave will come back soon. He is the least commercial and most dedicated to pure science. Caitlin, I know you are really just bursting with passion and didn't mean to be so tough. We need to know about all mollusks that can produce pearls/calcareous concretions. :)

Caitlin; I'm sad to see you so upset. It is a simple misunderstanding really. And besides, perhaps Dave only meant that his time is done with regards to that particular thread. It doesn't mean that he is leaving us forever.
All is well, I'm sure.
Linda.

I, too, hope Dave will be back soon. This discussion about sand as nuclei is one of the most interesting on the whole forum. We are blessed to have the scientific observations of Cyril and Dave. My only comment is that we veered off the original thread topic, which makes it difficult to find in the future.

In January Cyril started this thread, perhaps the part that pertains could be moved here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7111&highlight=a+grain+of+sand

I, too, hope Dave will be back soon. This discussion about sand as nuclei is one of the most interesting on the whole forum. We are blessed to have the scientific observations of Cyril and Dave. My only comment is that we veered off the original thread topic, which makes it difficult to find in the future.

In January Cyril started this thread, perhaps the part that pertains could be moved here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7111&highlight=a+grain+of+sand

Thanks. :)

I am feeling better.
:)

I was so sorry to offend a great member. I am not a pearl scientist at all and ask questions to clarify for future viewers as well as for my own answers. So what I take from this is yes, it is a scientific possibility and actually occurs, though infinitesimally rarely.

I want to keep saying it doesn't happen, without always adding the caveat that it does happen. The stance here is obviously not technically correct, but It is the best stance to take when ignorant sellers say it in their advertising.

I can see having a thread about this, where the absolute truth is told by scientists -that yes, it does happen and explain why. I too was loving this part of the thread until I upset Dave. I am a layman and often do not understand the vocabulary and processes Dave discusses, so I try to pin him down to something I can understand.

I never want someone to leave because they are mad at me. I am not the forum. I am happy to get a PM if one thinks I am out of line, because chances are I did not mean it that way and am willing to clarify and apologize or change my post, publicly.
I am not Dave but I believe I posted that before: an informed forum is a strong forum...
If I may add, a scientific or academic opinion is always subject to controversy, discussion, refutation and eventually acceptance (before being proven wrong and the whole cycle starts again...) Dave might agree with this.
We have opinions based on hands-on experience and field expertise, that doesn't mean that what we say is 100% correct (at least for my part that is).
I only hope that we all remain open minded to accept to most improbable theory, and I believe that this forum may indeed be the place to discuss, share and learn from each other.

Thanks again Caitlin for the opportunity given to us to strive to share our meager knowledge.

Back