Natural mussel pearl

Alexzoe

Hi i found natural blue mussel pearl when i was on n vocation what should I do or where should I go

Attachments

• 2573E161-0C41-4991-A3A4-29E79C2B32F4.jpeg
    2573E161-0C41-4991-A3A4-29E79C2B32F4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 96
  • C94F269A-E3DD-4B8F-B7F1-9F2A03814DDE.jpeg
    C94F269A-E3DD-4B8F-B7F1-9F2A03814DDE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 56855348-B54D-442C-ABE3-AA1D1A4160AC.jpeg
    56855348-B54D-442C-ABE3-AA1D1A4160AC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 01D67EF1-79D6-4E70-A712-7B208295EF2F.jpeg
    01D67EF1-79D6-4E70-A712-7B208295EF2F.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 1652586D-10AE-4F11-A3CC-A5F70AEAFA80.jpeg
    1652586D-10AE-4F11-A3CC-A5F70AEAFA80.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 80771E83-19E0-453C-A978-C69F7E8E2BBC.jpeg
    80771E83-19E0-453C-A978-C69F7E8E2BBC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 2D43189E-40A5-418E-9DCF-0BF7864E2E21.jpeg
    2D43189E-40A5-418E-9DCF-0BF7864E2E21.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Welcome to our Pearl Loving forum @Alexzoe
You seem to have eaten quite a few!
I would ask our local mussel pearl expert Dave Le Blanc @lagoonislandpearls for advice. I don't know anybody else in the world best suited to help.

Hi i found natural blue mussel pearl when i was on n vocation what should I do or where should I go
Hi Alexzoe,

Welcome to Pearl-Guide and congratulations on your finds. I'm away from home at the moment, enjoying some vacation time, a school reunion and some quality time with my family, so I'll apologize for not being timely with a reply.

The attached images clearly present a nice cache of natural pearls from Blue Mussels (Mytilus edulus). Color, shape and size being very typical.

I'm curious of other things, which may be helpful of some possibilties for these. In the interest of conservation, you need not divulge a specific location, but it would be useful to know the country, state or province of origin. I've not commented on luster (yet) for a couple of reasons. First, the time of year matters when natural pearls are collected. Winter harvesting invariably provides the greatest opportunity for higher luster, where during summer months often cause natural pearls to be occluded by calcite, which is the bane of any farmer or collector.

For the moment, I will ask for another array of photographs, that I may be able to examine these for surface quality. Cell phones are not the best camera for this task. Most quick snap, bridge or SLR cameras have better options for capturing images, particularly in MACRO mode. Place any combination of pearls on a white surface, so the camera does not struggle with backgrounds which can distract from a critical focus on the pearls themselves. Normally many suggest a flat white background, but I've had good results using a shiny surface because dramatic shadows aid with contrast and critical focus. Also some suggest using indirect light, but I tend to use more direct lighting so long as it is balanced. Either natural light during mid-day or midrange (5400K) artificial light. Higher or lower frequencies tend to cause the target to appear too blue or red.

Mytilus are pteriomorphs, which suggest they've evolved similar to the highly nacreous species used by pearl farmers. Very often several (albeit tiny) pearls may be found in a single mussel and within several mussels in the same patch. This is good news, because some specimens may present as world class and quite desirable in the market place. However at PG, we tend to avoid the subjectivity and liability of evaluated appraisals. We'd all agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hence arriving at a pricing agreement ought to be considerate of need, rarity and useful workability in crafting. At the very least, we could be of some assistance whether an agreed price is too outrageous whether low or high.

Likewise, there is no need to send them to a gem lab. It's expensive and the origin of these are not questionable. In my work history, I've learned a great difference between scientific value and gem quality. Sustainability and licensing are important factors, after all the reckless abandon (and needless decimation) of days gone by are important things to consider when proposing any disposition of natural pearls.

Meanwhile, it may be helpful to visit this thread:

Candled Natural Pearls

In the thread, I have posted several views of natural pearls from California Mussels (Mytilus californianus)

Congratulations on your discovery and finds, I'll look foward to answers, other questions and new images and respond soon as able.

Dave

Hi Alexzoe,

Welcome to Pearl-Guide and congratulations on your finds. I'm away from home at the moment, enjoying some vacation time, a school reunion and some quality time with my family, so I'll apologize for not being timely with a reply.

The attached images clearly present a nice cache of natural pearls from Blue Mussels (Mytilus edulus). Color, shape and size being very typical.

I'm curious of other things, which may be helpful of some possibilties for these. In the interest of conservation, you need not divulge a specific location, but it would be useful to know the country, state or province of origin. I've not commented on luster (yet) for a couple of reasons. First, the time of year matters when natural pearls are collected. Winter harvesting invariably provides the greatest opportunity for higher luster, where during summer months often cause natural pearls to be occluded by calcite, which is the bane of any farmer or collector.

For the moment, I will ask for another array of photographs, that I may be able to examine these for surface quality. Cell phones are not the best camera for this task. Most quick snap, bridge or SLR cameras have better options for capturing images, particularly in MACRO mode. Place any combination of pearls on a white surface, so the camera does not struggle with backgrounds which can distract from a critical focus on the pearls themselves. Normally many suggest a flat white background, but I've had good results using a shiny surface because dramatic shadows aid with contrast and critical focus. Also some suggest using indirect light, but I tend to use more direct lighting so long as it is balanced. Either natural light during mid-day or midrange (5400K) artificial light. Higher or lower frequencies tend to cause the target to appear too blue or red.

Mytilus are pteriomorphs, which suggest they've evolved similar to the highly nacreous species used by pearl farmers. Very often several (albeit tiny) pearls may be found in a single mussel and within several mussels in the same patch. This is good news, because some specimens may present as world class and quite desirable in the market place. However at PG, we tend to avoid the subjectivity and liability of evaluated appraisals. We'd all agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hence arriving at a pricing agreement ought to be considerate of need, rarity and useful workability in crafting. At the very least, we could be of some assistance whether an agreed price is too outrageous whether low or high.

Likewise, there is no need to send them to a gem lab. It's expensive and the origin of these are not questionable. In my work history, I've learned a great difference between scientific value and gem quality. Sustainability and licensing are important factors, after all the reckless abandon (and needless decimation) of days gone by are important things to consider when proposing any disposition of natural pearls.

Meanwhile, it may be helpful to visit this thread:

Candled Natural Pearls

In the thread, I have posted several views of natural pearls from California Mussels (Mytilus californianus)

Congratulations on your discovery and finds, I'll look foward to answers, other questions and new images and respond soon as able.

Dave
Thanks for help i will send new images using macro mode when i get home

Thanks for help i will send new images using macro mode when i get home
I knew Dave would come to the rescue! We are very fortunate to have him on the forum: his knowledge on natural pearls -both in a lab/research setting and, in the field- is unmatchable.

Bingo! you have found a very rare and unique pearl type - natural pearl.

These types of pearls are high in demand. Great hunt.

With these sizes it is unlikely they have great value. If the size goes over 7 mm they start fetching better prices, and if you add some uniquely beautiful attributes (shapes, luster, color, surface perfection) THEN they start fetching an interesting value.
I have natural pearls from different species of mollusks, some far larger, and the price is far from being a "game changer".

But natural pearls are quite unique and rare...you might want to promote them on Social Media and maybe a pearl collector would be willing to pay a fair price for them.

With these sizes it is unlikely they have great value.

A simple reality. Small pearls rarely become the centre piece, instead very often as accessory stones to other larger stones.

Small pearls need a value add or they just don't move. Despite the OP's pearls being reasonably lustrous, nicely shaped and rich blue/purple colors, it would be very difficult to match sets of more than two or three pieces. Occasionally, I'll muse over mine to do just that, but it often ends in frustration.

With some collections the value of the entire lot is greater than the sum of subdivided lots. A wholesaler or artisan would invariably want to high grade a lot, especially at premium rates which may seriously devalue the remaining lot. It's a difficult decision.

Victorian settings, namely engagement or pinky rings do well to match some of the stones and gold I've mined.

Attachments

• naturalpearl_amethyst_ring.jpg
    naturalpearl_amethyst_ring.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 53
  • naturalpearl_amethyst_ring2.jpg
    naturalpearl_amethyst_ring2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 55
  • engagement ring.jpg
    engagement ring.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 52
  • black_star_natural_pearls.jpg
    black_star_natural_pearls.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 50
Totally right on the spot Dave! @Lagoon Island Pearls

And as you say: selling a lot of pearls from a given species does add to the value of the pearls.

And Value Adding is a must with many of these pearls too! Using them to replace missing stones or pearls is another good option, thus they might be of interest to a jeweler that does much repair work.

Totally right on the spot Dave! @Lagoon Island Pearls

And as you say: selling a lot of pearls from a given species does add to the value of the pearls.

And Value Adding is a must with many of these pearls too! Using them to replace missing stones or pearls is another good option, thus they might be of interest to a jeweler that does much repair work.
Hi sir any idea where should i go for authentication for my pearls thanks

Hi sir any idea where should i go for authentication for my pearls thanks
You can head over to any of the major authorized Gem Labs...but it will cost you. If you are in the United States the best option would be GIA, but there are many others that could appraise pearls. You just need to start knocking on some doors.

Lab certification is generally used to affirm the origin and species of natural pearls.

Both are known, hence authentication is not necessary. If anything, may needlessly inflate the base price.
I totally agree with you @Lagoon Island Pearls
But sometimes people demand to have a certificate of origin if they are to purchase some pearl(s).
And yes indeed: paying for the certification means that you either inflate the final price of the pearls or absorb its cost...in any case it may just cut into your earnings.
David has given you much to think about @Alexzoe

Back