Nacre depth requirement scrapped from January

Pearlescence, Gemporia sells all sorts of pearls too. But I don't think their pearls quality is excellent.

Interesting discussion.

Maybe I'm optimistic but I tend to agree with this. None of my pearls are certified anyway. In the end it still goes down to buying from trusted vendors and also how they look/luster/etc.

I agree with this as well. I think in the end the good farmers will continue to grow beautiful pearls and even if there is a bit less nacre they will still be gorgeous. Top companies will buy good pearls. Buy from trusted sellers as Icy said and you will get good quality pearls.

Last edited:
What sort of quality turn up on the TV jewellery selling shows...?

I think it depends on the company that was awarded the contract. Imperial Pearls (Josh Bazar is the representative on air) is one of the companies that provides pearls to HSN, for example. Prior to that, it was a company called Tara Pearls, which I believe is reputable. I can't speak to the other channels -- I'm highly suspicious of JTV.

Steve Bennett is a lovely bloke who is incredibly knowledgeable abot gemstones. But we have had conversations in the past about the pearls he has..

Jeremy, what a law is meant to do (known as the 'mischief')and what it actually does are sometimes different things. While the law may be intended to stop sales of trash pearls, if it specifies the nacre depth over bead in all pearls then that is what is legal/not legal.
Likewise, the pearls have been exported...does the law provide only for pearls for sale or is it any pearls?
It sounds a bit like the UK marijuana law, where enforcement turned a blind eye to 'personal use' amounts and only prosecuted 'possession with intent to supply' but possessing even a smidge remained illegal, nevertheless.
I did not say that pearl farmers were in any way smuggling pearls. But poor quality pearls seems to be a real concern for forum members since the change in the law was announced.

They don't stop people from carrying out their own pearls. Pearls are sold on almost every street corner in French Polynesia and many of them are sold to tourists because they can't be exported. Either the nacre is too thin or the surface too blemished. I've not seen any with holes in their nacre though. I've only seen that in Hong Kong and the tents in Tucson.

Steve Bennett is a lovely bloke who is incredibly knowledgeable abot gemstones. But we have had conversations in the past about the pearls he has..

Steve Bennett with his Gemporia has a fantastic collection of gems, he definitely has a vast variety. The quality of his gemstones are good. But his pearls quality is still inconsistent if I read the review. I don't buy pearls from Gemporia, I know a better source for pearls in UK: Pearlescence!

Just a thought. Is it possible that the low quality Tahitians may have actually come from The Philippines or Indonesia where P. Margaritefera can also be cultivated? I know that it's generally south seas but I have also been told some small farms before grow some small quantity of black pearls but then again that was some years ago.

Just a thought. Is it possible that the low quality Tahitians may have actually come from The Philippines or Indonesia where P. Margaritefera can also be cultivated? I know that it's generally south seas but I have also been told some small farms before grow some small quantity of black pearls but then again that was some years ago.

I don't believe so. Smuggling has been talked about as long as I have been in the business. A lot of obviously smuggled pearls (those with deteriorating nacre and holes in the nacre) are big - think 15 mm and even larger. Those really only come from Tahiti.

Even low quality pearls in these sizes go for a lot of money - several hundreds of dollars apiece. Non-passable pearls might only go for $50 or less, and you will see them in beading stores and parts of the Tucson show. Designers might use them in such a way as to cover the worst blemishes or holes.

As per Perlas's query..would the oysters interbreed? I know they are different species but horses and zebras can breed and produce...Has anyone tried? Pearls?

Tahitian pearl nacre thickness

Tahitian pearl nacre thickness

Hisano was slicing a few Tahitian pearls today for a pearl geode order and I took the opportunity to snap a photo.

Knowing your source is important in any business and will likely be even more important in the coming years. There are many pearl producers who take true pride in their craft. The nacre on the entire lot of Tahitians we recently processed into strands averages three times the legal minimum. I see this every time we bring in pearls from this source.

Attachments

• Tahitian pearl nacre.jpg
    Tahitian pearl nacre.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 51
Since you know the source, Jeremy, do you happen to know whether the excellent nacre depth is due to time in water or a fast depositing strain having developed at the farm or both, or neither (ie something else)?
I seem to be full of questions at the moment
No one has answered the horse/zebra hybrid one so far

I've never heard of anyone hybridizing different species from the genus Pinctada. I don't know whether it would be impossible or not.

I was told the pearls with thick nacre are grown outside of the atoll versus within the atoll. The nacre deposition is a lot quicker but the attrition is higher. They are still grown for the full 18 months which doesn't appear to be necessary.

Wanted to revive this thread. Did the law January last year push thru? I’m still seeing most vendor infos state that Tahitian’s minimum thickness is 0.8mm.

Jeremy said it did go through, last July I believe.

Edited to add: I looked for the post where that was stated but could not find it. I recall he said it was last summer that the new law went into effect.

Last edited:
Thanks, Pearl Dreams!

Rule have changed since 16 of july 2017, but just I begin to see new pearls with thin nacre coming ( I am on the right place to know that): it's a shame! Even tahitian jewellers I know think like that themselves.
Well, that's a disaster. Now, pearls certified up than 0.8mm thick nacre will be more and more expensive, a new luxury, and the others, with thin nacre, will make the most of a new low cost production, but not low priced...
I hope buyers will not agree this new deal.
In french, we call that "to want the butter and the price of the butter".
Anyway, I have not yet seen any farmers to point the difference, it's a bad sign.

Last edited:
Back