Nacre depth requirement scrapped from January

With the law as it stood there would be no 'souffle' tahitians.
It was not fit for how pearls were being produced - and condemned the ones where the nacre was deposited unevenly for example.
The markets in south sea or akoya pearls have not died off because there is no nacre depth law.
With all pearls, you get what you pay for

With the law as it stood there would be no 'souffle' tahitians.
It was not fit for how pearls were being produced - and condemned the ones where the nacre was deposited unevenly for example.
The markets in south sea or akoya pearls have not died off because there is no nacre depth law.
With all pearls, you get what you pay for

Akoya have never been regulated by depth law, instead tahitian pearls. The tahitian's market prices have been built on particular quality requirements they don't work, now.
If it's a matter to pay what we get, tahitian pearls price would drop significantly.
I can't understand how to sorry such quality loss of our items :confused:

I know that Eric. My point was that south sea and akoya pearls still sold. Good pearls at any time, from good sources, will still command good prices.
There were always plenty of pearls which left French Polynesia for the market without being x-rayed
It is not a law which should be mourned. Unenforceable laws or laws which actively hinder product development and innovation are not good laws
Other carvers are still carving. Perhaps you need to work with a specific farm so a farmer can supply pearls with plenty of nacre?

As far as I know, the only carver to work with a specific farmer is Chi, from Galatea. That because its beads are special, but Chi needs also a very thick layer of nacre. All of that is possible in case of big productions, I can't ask anything similar according to my own very little use.
I regret this new rule, because the last was the only one to work for the best pearl quality, in all the pearl's world. Moreover, I can't understand the tahitian farmers meaning, when they have been recently damaged by a hard oversupply crisis. If they think to feel better by reducing the cost of their production with a lowered quality, that's a strange calculation... except if purchasers agree that, as they have agreed tomatos loosing all their tast, but perfectly red, and that for the same price:(... And then, this management allows to junk these tomatos, also, if their number is higher than the need.
Beside, in this way, all the pearls will be perfectly round, now, exactly like their bead... for the same price than before, one more time.

Last edited:
Ericw, Josh at Kamoka may be still choosing to grow thick nacre because his standards are higher. Why not contact him and ask?

I can't seem to find the source, but I am pretty sure I read once that Chi didn't need as thick of nacre so he was able to culture pearls in Vietnam for a shorter amount of time when he was seeding the pearl oysters with imitation gemstones for his carved pearls. I could be mistaken, but that is what I seem to recall.

Ericw, Josh at Kamoka may be still choosing to grow thick nacre because his standards are higher. Why not contact him and ask?

I don't believe any pearls are coming out of Tahiti right now that are short-cultured. We would have heard about it and it would have created a stir. Remember, this law was scrapped months ago. That's barely enough time to decide "hey, let's harvest now," do the harvest, sell the pearls at auction, get them into the market ... You would be very hard pressed to find a pearl in the market that was not harvested under the 0.8 mm umbrella.

If you want to be sure, just get pearls from Rikitea. That's the only place with consistent nacre thicknesses well in excess of the legal minimums. Nearly every pearl Hisano has cut or carved has at least two millimeters. That's 2.5 x the minimum.

That's a good information, Jeremy, about Rikitea. Thank you for sharing.
Maybe I am unlucky, but the last tahitian pearls I have received have not so much thick nacre than all others before. The last I have carved is between 0.5/0.6mm nacre thick, calliper measured... a lost work. So, I suspect farmers have stopped the growth, and nearly one year past is suffisant to find these pearls on the market (one of year's auctions is happening at the end of july, an other in november)
About Chi, I remember he was associated with a tahitian farmer, first, but I don't know how he is working now, just I know that he makes vietnamese workers to carve its pearls. Anyway, looking at its jewels, Chi needs an unusual thickness of nacre.
You are kind, Lilliefuzzysocks, but to require a special production needs always a serious wallet I havn't :p

Last edited:
So, with these possible changes in quality, who would all of you suggest for good quality Tahitians [at least that ships to the US]?
PearlParadise
Kamoka

???

Last edited by a moderator:
Vendors who have a reputation to maintain.

I could see thinner nacre Tahitians showing up in the future on Etsy from vendors who sell less expensive/lower quality Tahitians. If low price is the biggest draw, then quality tends to be lower.

Last edited:
Pearl Dreams, that's true people buying low price pearls can't get the best quality, anyway.
But now, without test, nobody will be able to know if a tahitian pearl has grown during three months or three years, for the same price, and moreover, perfectly spherical pearls, so much valuable at present time, will be easier to make, without most of usual difficulties. Then, what about their new price?
I might bet, also, we are going to see less and less circle shapes, in the future.
I assure you that tahitian jewellers themselves, who love pearls they work, don't agree these new rules, and about scraps too: before, pearls with beads covered less than 80% of their surface by nacre, or see-through beads were junked. Now, the new law don't say anything about that. None about soufflés, but reading the law, it appears that pearl grown around any other bead than usual, can't be called tahitian pearl ( I don't talk of tahitian keshi, without any beads, and recognised by this law, are recognised also "keshi reborn pearls", with a second bead).
About keeping vendors reputation, I think it's simple: they must require nacre thickness certificate. May I repeat the test is free of charge for farmers! But not for jewellers and traders...
Edit: talking of soufflés, it's the council of ministers who decides of beads conformity. I have not found any deliberations speaking of other kinds of beads right for use than traditional ones. This is not surprising: the law is very strict about beads trading, and sure, authorities don't want to promote any practices they think difficult to control.
Well, Pearl Dreams, I remember you have studied french... If you want to see that by yourself, this is the link of the law:
http://lexpol.cloud.pf/document.php...1IFBheXMgbsKwIDIwMTctMTYgZHUgMTgvMDcvMjAxNw==
:p:)

Last edited:
All three, and also Kojima.
Vendors who have a reputation to maintain.

I noticed earlier in this thread tahitianpearls.biz was cited as one of the trusted vendors - has that changed? I'm eyeing a few things there.

I can definitely say that Kojima's loose pearls are stunning and I will keep going back there over and over.

Sourcing loose has been a significant challenge overall for me, because I really enjoy making my own jewelry, but with Jac's shop on Etsy shut down, and discussions about other Etsy vendors (Wen, Kong) being hit or miss, it's so hard to figure out where to buy for my own projects. Do I just reach out to Sarah and see if she has more than what's posted?

You can buy your pearls from the larger vendors unstrung, but there won't be a discount for that. However that would allow you to do with the strand as you please.

I have only ever read good things about Tahitianpearls.biz, but I have not bought from them personally.

Back