My "Pearling" Story...

Hmm, what is the source of this info? These seem to be rather vague definitions, imo.
Found it on this website...

A torsade is a necklace or bracelet made from multiple strands which are twisted together. Illustrated here is a torsade bracelet of pearls but keep in mind that it can also be several strands of chain as well. A torsade necklace would be of choker length, much longer and it becomes a sautoir.

My new Tahitian strand arrived. It is more beautiful than I imagined! Wow! On my skin the colors are more subdued, in the bright sunlight they are full of color and fire. Great variance of color and the hidden clasp is new to me; push and twist. Love it. Paperwork said it is from "Ideal Pearl," which is a pearl company in Belgium and UK (after an internet search). Nice to get pearls with paperwork. Wearing these with my 9mm Tahitian Gray earrings and diamond earring jackets. (Pictures on the website were better than mine so I've included those too.)
9mm Tahitian Gray earrings and diamond earring jackets Ideal Pearl
Tahitian Multi Strand Front View
Tahitian Ringed Pearls

Busy week with little time for pearling.:cry:
Today I should have some time to play, and I'm excited about that because my FW Keshi arrived and they are a fantastic iridescent blue/purple/green. I'll be working on a "Halfsies" Necklace (1/2 chain, 1/2 pearls) as a gift for my hairdresser. It will be his first pearl necklace and he's excited about it.
In the meantime, here is the white oval freshwater strand I restrung with a gunmetal toggle clasp and black thread. More trendy and edgy. Thanks for the inspiration @pattye on your website.
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG

I'm so excited!!! Saturday is the Houston Gem Show and there will be several "Pearl Companies" present. My daughter has agreed to go with me (to help me from spending too much!!!) and we'll get to look at loose pearls and strands in person. Aloha Pearls will be there and many other companies. It will be my first time to visit a show like this. I'll post anything I purchase.

I'm so excited!!! Saturday is the Houston Gem Show and there will be several "Pearl Companies" present. My daughter has agreed to go with me (to help me from spending too much!!!) and we'll get to look at loose pearls and strands in person. Aloha Pearls will be there and many other companies. It will be my first time to visit a show like this. I'll post anything I purchase.
Keep us updated! I've never done this show, interesting to hear about it!

"Halfsies" necklace for my hairdresser is done. Oh, the bright blues/purples/greens/golds in these freshwater pearls. He's going to LOVE it. I ended up using French Wire OVER the beading wire at the clasp. It will oxidize to black over time. I didn't knot between the beads but instead, I used those black silicone bead bumpers. Also used a reamed out Sterling Silver bead over the crimp bead, it too will oxidize over time for a better look.
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG

Last edited:
The Houston Gem Show was AMAZING. I was able to connect with several pearl suppliers, one who lives in Houston and has an amazing inventory! I ended up purchasing 2 loose pearls: purple-13mm, and pistachio/avocado-14mm for my net pendant from Aloha Pearls. I also purchased some totally amazing green freshwater pearls. They are 8.5mm and have the most amazing luster...almost perfectly round. I'll make something out of them and post it when I'm done.

Last edited:
"Halfsies" necklace for my hairdresser is done. Oh, the bright blues/purples/greens/golds in these freshwater pearls. He's going to LOVE it. I ended up using French Wire OVER the beading wire at the clasp. It will oxidize to black over time. I didn't knot between the beads but instead, I used those black silicone bead bumpers. Also used a reamed out Sterling Silver bead over the crimp bead, it too will oxidize over time for a better look.
View attachment 464865View attachment 464866
i love the look of this! well done!

Lovely necklace! Did you use blackened silver for the chain?

I am working on another one though. I found a byzantine bracelet-8" and 4mm round, that is sterling silver. It's vintage so it has lot of nice patina. I'm going to make a women's version of the "Halfsies" necklace out of that. The bracelet is in transit now. Since I need the toggle ring that's on the bracelet to connect the pearls (and because I can't sacrifice any length), all I had to do is find a suitable toggle ring that matched the byzantine style, and of course, I found one on Etsy. Looking forward to that project as well.

i love the look of this! well done!
Being a man that loves pearls, I appreciate your feedback. There was a young Hispanic man that was working at my BMW Service department and he was wearing a nice strand of perfectly round high-luster freshwater pearls. I told him how much I liked his pearls and he smiled so big!!! He must have been 20 years old...so I'm seeing more and more younger men enjoying this fashion trend!

Being a man that loves pearls, I appreciate your feedback. There was a young Hispanic man that was working at my BMW Service department and he was wearing a nice strand of perfectly round high-luster freshwater pearls. I told him how much I liked his pearls and he smiled so big!!! He must have been 20 years old...so I'm seeing more and more younger men enjoying this fashion trend!
I like this too! Men wore pearls since forever...then, the last 100+ years we've made some bad style choices ;)

How about a long strand today...this 36" white and blue freshwater mixed strand was one of my early endeavors with a long strand. This one gave me lots of practice knotting. I just love the tiny blue freshwaters with the white pearls. I wear it long and doubled. The little enhancer is worn by the clasp.

1687441907177.png

How about a long strand today...this 36" white and blue freshwater mixed strand was one of my early endeavors with a long strand. This one gave me lots of practice knotting. I just love the tiny blue freshwaters with the white pearls. I wear it long and doubled. The little enhancer is worn by the clasp.

View attachment 464887
I love it with the enhancer.

Back