My "Pearling" Story...

Saturday and I'm trolling current trends for pearls. You'll see several postings on different threads. For my installation today I'm posting an early design when I first started playing with pearls and other beads. I had found a necklace containing the sparkly larger beads and the gunmetal smaller beads at Kohls on a clearance sale years ago. I liked it so much I got one for my daughter. She admitted she never wore it so she gave it back and I created a new design combining the two necklaces and adding some "extra" nice-quality silver Tahitian pearls and smaller Akoya pearls, plus some fun bead caps I purchased off of Etsy. The Sterling Silver diamond clasp is from my clasp designer in India. I think it rounds out this necklace nicely. I also attempted a new skill; to "cut" a metal bead apart and re-wrap it around the crimp bead for a more uniform look at the clasp. It worked well, but took quite a bit of time making sure there were not sharp ends from the metal. If I ever rework this necklace I'll add some French wire on the beading wire at the clasp. This attempt was before I adopted that process. My later designs with wire, I always use French wire over the beading wire. I think it looks nicer.
At 18" is is perfect for any casual outfit with white/black/gray colors. I do wear it often and always get nice comments.
a necklace containing the sparkly larger beads and the gunmetal smaller beads - Kohls
a necklace containing the sparkly larger beads and the gunmetal smaller beads - Kohls
clasp close up a necklace containing the sparkly larger beads and the gunmetal smaller beads - Kohls

Last edited:
That's a very cool piece, MotherOfPearlTrumpet!

Very nice piece and INTERESTING too! Love the blackened beads, gives a great look to both the black & white pearls!

Wearing my new Tahitian pendant and my 3-strand Akoya silver Keshi rope. I used the left-over pearls to make to earring "enhancers". They sort of look like they are flowing from my ears into my necklace. I fell in love with this 18K white gold lobster clasp. It was on a different strand and I restrung it with these Keshi pearls. I've never seen another one like it...anyone know about others like it? I looks designer but is not signed.

Tahitian pendant and my 3-strand Akoya silver Keshi rope.
Tahitian pendant and my 3-strand Akoya silver Keshi rope close up

Love how it looks on you! You -and the pearls- compliment each other.

I'm so excited!!! Saturday is the Houston Gem Show and there will be several "Pearl Companies" present. My daughter has agreed to go with me (to help me from spending too much!!!) and we'll get to look at loose pearls and strands in person. Aloha Pearls will be there and many other companies. It will be my first time to visit a show like this. I'll post anything I purchase.
Well, I went back to my pearl supplier in Houston today (the one I met at the Houston Gem Show) and got a 3rd strand of these ABSOLUTELY AMAZING pistachio/avocado freshwaters. These are almost perfectly round!!! The luster is so good they almost fool you into thinking they are dyed Akoyas. I'll be making a double strand necklace and bracelet and I'll post those when they are done. I just couldn't wait to show off these pearls...(the oval looking distortion at the bottom of the page is the angle of the camera...)
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING pistachio/avocado freshwaters. These are almost perfectly round!!! The luster is so good they almost fool you into thinking they are dyed Akoyas
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING pistachio/avocado freshwaters. These are almost perfectly round!!! The luster is so good they almost fool you into thinking they are dyed Akoyas close up

wow! these are gorgeous! cant wait to see what you do with them!

I could see those pairing well with like, some faceted golden citrines or yellow topaz! or yellow sapphires!

Very nice Avocado Freshwaters!
Have a Pearly 4th of July! :party:

In a world where, at times, people can seem so self-centered and unkind...
Have you ever wanted to do something really nice for someone? Not buying them something, but an act of service?
I have a jeweler who is close to my age and over the last few years of purchasing things on EBay and taking them to her to be tested for authenticity, as well as processing, and reworking the estate jewelry I got from my mother-in-law. This jeweler has gone above and beyond being kind and helping me. She is someone I now consider a friend. Her jewelry store is small and in a strip center...not one of those big fancy stores. Her display cases, although filled with lovely jewelry, definitely need some sprucing up! That kind of service is "right up my alley.". I spoke to her about the possibility of helping her update and improve the look of her display cases and she was totally on board. After all, running a business there's little time for that sort of thing. I found some FANTASTIC bonded leather, super high-grade, on clearance at JoAnn's online and purchased 20 yards with her approval (and reimbursement). We basically got $1,000 yards of material for $250! It should be enough to cover all the inside/bases of her display cases and re-cover many of her platform display pieces. Seriously, right now she has plastic picnic tablecloth covering the dated laminate in her display cases. My husband is pretty handy with a table saw and he'll cut the boards to fit in the cases and I'll cover them with the leather. We're pretty excited about helping this wonderful person improve her store. All it will cost is time, which in my world, equals love. I'll take some "before and after" photos for all of you!
Note for the day...do something kind for someone that tells them you really care about them.
Pictured today is a FW Mauve Round Pearl Strand with Rhodium Sterling Silver Diamond Cut Beads, that I gave to a friend last summer. It matched her mother-of-the-groom dress.
FW Mauve Round Pearl Strand with Rhodium Sterling Silver Diamond Cut Beads

Working on those Avocado green freshwaters. One strand done, one strand to go. They are such a beautiful array of greens, so fun to string.
Decided on a single strand bracelet and I may use some of the left over pearls to make a matching tin cup strand. Love the green with yellow gold.

My 2nd Byzantine bracelet arrived (remember, the first one was stolen/misplaced in the USPS mail). This one, thankfully, arrived safely. It is more substantial than the first one, being 6mm in diameter. For this reason I decided to use a heaver 9mm FW pearls and some Sterling Silver accent beads to help bring out the silver between the pearls and off-set the heavy silver on the other side. I did have to order a 2nd toggle clasp but was happy to find one in a Byzantine style. It is a fun, quite different look. It could go for man or woman, but it is only 18" long. I took a picture of the two toggle rings so you could see the back of the necklace. Of course, it can be worn in many ways. I think I like the "Halfsies" way best.
IMG_2351 2.JPG
IMG_2352 2.JPG

Also, this past week I attempted my first Tin Cup strand. I guess using 14K gold chain, 14K gold wire and high-end Akoya pearls, I went big for my first attempt. This lovely and unique chain was my inspiration. I carefully counted 11 links (1") and added a 7.5mm Akoya pearl with a 14K half-hard headpin, bent to accommodate the chain link (A similar "Mikimoto station necklace" was my inspiration and template). A couple of times I had to "unbend" the wire to get the ring more rounded so the chain links would flow inside the loop without hanging up. It was an enjoyable task, ending with a 28" Tin Cup strand that can be shortened by linking the clasp on any part of the chain between pearls. When worn shorter there is a "fun" tail to the necklace, that can be worn either in front or in back. I definitely got better and better at my wire bending along the way but the half-hard gold headpins were definitely the way to go. This delicate chain would break before the headpins give way.
It was worth sacrificing this 20" chain for this project!
IMG_2349 2.JPG
IMG_2350 2.JPG

Also, this past week I attempted my first Tin Cup strand. I guess using 14K gold chain, 14K gold wire and high-end Akoya pearls, I went big for my first attempt. This lovely and unique chain was my inspiration. I carefully counted 11 links (1") and added a 7.5mm Akoya pearl with a 14K half-hard headpin, bent to accommodate the chain link (A similar "Mikimoto station necklace" was my inspiration and template). A couple of times I had to "unbend" the wire to get the ring more rounded so the chain links would flow inside the loop without hanging up. It was an enjoyable task, ending with a 28" Tin Cup strand that can be shortened by linking the clasp on any part of the chain between pearls. When worn shorter there is a "fun" tail to the necklace, that can be worn either in front or in back. I definitely got better and better at my wire bending along the way but the half-hard gold headpins were definitely the way to go. This delicate chain would break before the headpins give way.
It was worth sacrificing this 20" chain for this project!
View attachment 465150View attachment 465151
Fantastic work! Gorgeous!

My 2nd Byzantine bracelet arrived (remember, the first one was stolen/misplaced in the USPS mail). This one, thankfully, arrived safely. It is more substantial than the first one, being 6mm in diameter. For this reason I decided to use a heaver 9mm FW pearls and some Sterling Silver accent beads to help bring out the silver between the pearls and off-set the heavy silver on the other side. I did have to order a 2nd toggle clasp but was happy to find one in a Byzantine style. It is a fun, quite different look. It could go for man or woman, but it is only 18" long. I took a picture of the two toggle rings so you could see the back of the necklace. Of course, it can be worn in many ways. I think I like the "Halfsies" way best.
View attachment 465148View attachment 465149
Love this look! I would wear this halfsies & chain up/pearls down

Great Job! Loved them all!

Back