My new Sea of Cortez pearls (and a couple others).

Oh Linda! They are soooooo nice and.....green! I looove green tahitians! Vibrant! And your earrings are gorgeous also. Very nice choice and the color seems to suit you very well. Enjoy!

PS: I have the feeling the more you fight the "pearl urge" the worst it is!

PS: I have the feeling the more you fight the "pearl urge" the worst it is!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.
Oscar Wilde

My Mama's fond of another of his lines, All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

My Dad prefers the rather more depressing, Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them.

Edited to say - can't find it in my book of quotations at the moment, but I agree wholeheartedly with Wilde's idea that Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.
Oscar Wilde

Right on Amanda! Exactly what I meant in a more poetic way

Bautiful, Linda. Oh so fabulous those peals on a swan's neck. I have a severe case of neck and pearl envy.

Btw, over here in Asia, culture shock moment - especially among the older generation, it is not considered rude to ask how much one paid for a yacht, house, pearls or last night's dinner for that matter. It is with a semblance of pride that most would crow about the price ("Oh a million for that Ferretti," or "Ten bucks for that meal that fed three!"). One time in a cab, the driver asked me point blank what my salary was!?! You have been warned :)

If the grey hair didn't reflect my age, this next comment will:
I am so thrilled with the Internet!
Look at us, all of us from all over the globe, talking to each other.
And now some cultural info from Adeline. It's great. I love it.

Well, it makes sense that people would be honoured to be asked a "personal" financial question .... doesn't it? It's a kind of flattery really.

My husband and I went to China once (a furniture fair in Shenzhen) .... and we had just a blast. The taxi rides were enough to trigger a cardiac arrest. The people were wonderful. In general, we can make mistakes with differences in culture .... but most everyone knows that it isn't done intentionally. So, all is forgiven. I can't wait to go back to Asia .... maybe next year.
Mind you, here in Vancouver, I can get first-class Asian cultural experiences by just driving into Richmond or Chinatown. But not those taxi rides. You have to go offshore for those. :)
Linda.
Linda.

Really beautiful new pearls Linda and I agree, the Internet (and especially PG) is amazing and wonderful!

Bautiful, Linda. Oh so fabulous those peals on a swan's neck. I have a severe case of neck and pearl envy.

Btw, over here in Asia, culture shock moment - especially among the older generation, it is not considered rude to ask how much one paid for a yacht, house, pearls or last night's dinner for that matter. It is with a semblance of pride that most would crow about the price ("Oh a million for that Ferretti," or "Ten bucks for that meal that fed three!"). One time in a cab, the driver asked me point blank what my salary was!?! You have been warned :)

OK, so what is it rude to ask about? Political views? Religion?

OK, so what is it rude to ask about? Political views? Religion?

Well none of these are off limits, definitely not religion as the various races co-exist. I just saw a Hindu temple's colourful deveotees streaming out after a festival into the carpark of an Anglican diocese and church. They co-exist quite happily.

Oh wait, most older generation Asians are superstitious and concerned about the loss of "face" so-off limits are topics death, illness, getting the pink slip or losing money (irony - perfectly ok to boast about making money and spending it but not losing it). I was taught NEVER to gift a clock or watch as it signified counting down on the hours of the recipient's life. And one's sexuality stays in the closet as well, if you know what I mean :)

Last edited:
Hi Pattye, yeah that silver chain is cool. Every second link opens up, so there is no actual "clasp".

So pretty, have to keep reminding myself the bills always come due...BUT I WANT SOME! sob. And your pics did too show the glory!

Ok, if you haven't already, would you share where you got the chain with the open links? What a marvelous invention!

Last edited:
Well none of these are off limits, definitely not religion as the various races co-exist. I just saw a Hindu temple's colourful deveotees streaming out after a festival into the carpark of an Anglican diocese and church. They co-exist quite happily.

Oh wait, most older generation Asians are superstitious and concerned about the loss of "face" so-off limits are topics death, illness, getting the pink slip or losing money (irony - perfectly ok to boast about making money and spending it but not losing it). I was taught NEVER to gift a clock or watch as it signified counting down on the hours of the recipient's life. And one's sexuality stays in the closet as well, if you know what I mean :)

Getting the pink slip - getting sacked at work?

Giving clocks is fine here - in fact, quite common at significant birthdays (watches for 18th or 21st), and very common indeed as a retirement present, almost a cliche.

Going around doing religious stuff is fine, but talking too much about faith and doctrine and so forth is embarrassing.

My Dad says a gentleman is someone who nevers offends another person accidentally.

Is English your native language, by the way? Or something else?

Hello Lisa:
The silver bracelet with the opening links is from Thomas Sabo.
I think it is kind of pricey. Mine was a replacement (I had an older one where the clasp came apart, and the store took it back and allowed me to chose another of similar value). In that period of time, my old bracelet had gone up in value, so I was kind of lucky that way .... and could pick out this cool new one.
Thomas Sabo, Pandora, etc .... those products are very nice quality, but kind of high price too.
Amanda; I like your Dad's definition of a gentleman. It means one should make an effort to learn the customs of different peoples. Otherwise those accidents could happen easily. Interesting.
Linda.

Thanks, Linda! Can't wait to check it out, I love looking at pretties, poorhouse or not!

Yeah, ethnic Chinese, 4th generation Chinese diaspora. Australian-Singaporean - my family moves between the two countries and right now we are here in Asia.

With post-colonialism and a mission school education, was raised an Anglophile on a steady diet of British House and Garden Magazine, Paddington Bear and Enid Blyton.

First language, yes, English. Chinese (wholly acquired at school, no thanks to my parents) also at a first language level. I like languages. My dometic helper's teaching me Indonesian and I have a passable grasp of pasaar Melayu. If you intend on raising a young child bilingual, my best advice is to start tem young with one parent speaking in one langugae, the other in, well, the other. I can PM anyone else interested the research on bilingualism, presuming you are interested :)

Last edited:
First language, yes, English. Chinese (wholly acquired at school, no thanks to my parents) also at a first language level. I like languages. My dometic helper's teaching me Indonesian and I have a passable grasp of pasaar Melayu. If you intend on raising a young child bilingual, my best advice is to start tem young with one parent speaking in one langugae, the other in, well, the other. I can PM anyone else interested the research on bilingualism, presuming you are interested :)

We're bringing up our son to be bi-lingual, and that's exactly what we've done. Adam's always spoken to Isaac in Hebrew, right from when he was born, and I've always spoken to him in English.

Isaac's English is now better than his Hebrew - he's now 6, so he's been at school (in English, obviously) for well over 2 years. But his Hebrew's not at all bad, either, so Adam says.

View attachment 15616Sorry, I have an iMac, and am still trying to figure out the bloody picture issues. I will flip a picture, and then it still is sideways ... because why, does Mac keep all these different versions of the same photo on my harddrive .... one flipped? one not flipped? One with a face .... I'm confused. Let me try to fix this.

Hi Linda - somehow missed these

lovely photo and stunning 'spring' pearls

(great match too)

:rolleyes:

Sigh, yes, Isabelle... When my husband inquires when the bill comes, I will blame Linda, and Dian, and Alex, and Pattye ...

Thankfully I won't be in the list!!! ;)

Back