My new "old" natural pearl earrings ! before and after photos

@seventhsphinx: Thank you ! the credit goes to my jeweler ! She is awesome - http://www.lisaesztergalyos.com/about.html
Just found out about the cool little video where she explain how she transforms heirloom jewelry for her clients.

@ Dave

How do you calculate the number of unique colors from the palette ? is it in paintshop or is it a plug in ?

I've done the palette for the blue pearl based on the same image and would like to compare the number of unique colors

Comp-palettes.jpg

Left : Sophie's palette - Right: lagoonisland's palette
thanks in advance

Sophie

Last edited:
@ Dave

How do you calculate the number of unique colors from the palette ? is it in paintshop or is it a plug in ?

I've done the palette for the blue pearl based on the same image and would like to compare the number of unique colors

It's an option in the same color menu as Decrease Color Depth and Edit Palette.

Attachments

• color count.jpg
    color count.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 35
Thank you Dave.
I found the color counting in the menu, but I lost my mosaic with this weird file format..... I'm having a hard time with creating a mosaic with paintshop, as I'm not familiar at all with it (borrowed my husband's copy). To simplify, I'm doing the mosaic in the regular paint from Microsoft and then editing the palette in paintshop. hopefully, this will not impact the color count.
Thank again !
Sophie

So what am I doing wrong ? I spent a few hrs this afternoon trying to reproduce the experiment of palettes and color count, and I'm going nowhere....

Dave, if you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, please let me know as I'd really would like to get to a calibration where we can compare apples and apples.

I'm using PaintShop ProX4
I took the picture of the earing that was posted on the forum in post #11 and cropped the pearls (conservatively inside pearl contour) - see pic below

I find very similar color palettes, but the color count is off by a factor of 10
Blue Pearl unique colors 2378 (Sophie) - 20538 (Dave)
Gold Pearl unique colors 2344 (Sophie) - 21312 (Dave)

BluePearl-cropped-Sophie.jpgCom-palettes-Gold.jpgGoldPearl-cropped-Sophie.jpg

Then I took my original picture (higher resolution). and now it's off by a factor of 2...
Blue pearl unique colors: 11576
Gold pearl unique colors: 9567

Any idea of what I missed ? did you took different steps in the process ?

Best,
Sophie

Any idea of what I missed ? did you took different steps in the process ?

I use Paint Shop Pro 5. I have higher versions, but prefer PSP 5 because it loads instantly. No waiting to view a single image.

All the features are available in version 4. When creating the mosaic, create a new image. It doesn't need to be very big. 320x240 is a good size, but it can be smaller or bigger. Again, it's important to begin with an image with balanced light and discernible features. Use the rectangle selector and import segments to the new image. Avoid backgrounds, shadows, and brilliant glares. (Slight glares are fine... even suggested). After the decreasing color count, select "edit palette". This will open a window showing the palette. Then I use alt-print screen to copy the window. Then I paste it to a new image, then using the rectangle tool, recopy only the palette itself to a new image.

Hi! When you said you cropped conservatively, does that mean you measured off one image/sample photo? Did you do the mosaic thing Dave does?

Hello Dave and Lisa,

No, I did not do the mosaic, I used the pictures I posted above (#44). In my mind, the mosaic was only for jewelry or pearls lumped together. If I'm looking at one single pearl, then why would the color count be different between the whole pearl and a mosaic made with a sum of cropped close ups from the same image. Hence the reason I cropped free-hand the whole pearl , "conservatively" as I made sure there was no background color included.... But, truth to be told, I know next to nothing about colors, pixels, image and resolution, so I'm willing to learn and experiment.
What I'm trying to do here, is to test an assumption that the higher the color count, the more likely the pearl is to be natural.... but there might be no correlation, and that would be ok.

If a mosaic is helpful to determine the correct count of unique colors, then I want to know what the sensitivity of the number of cropped images wit the color count. Dave mentioned in his last post and a previous one (in the fun color palette thread) that it does not need to be too detailed / complicated, as long as it's representative of the pearl itself.... then again, why would the free-hand cropping of the single pearl (as posted above) would not be perfectly representative ?
So my next task is to do several mosaics and see how it impact the color count as soon as I can steal a couple hrs from work :)

Really enjoying this discussion and experiment

Sophie

​I'm not sure. Maybe a single sampling is adequate. I decided to ask because I don't know how sensitive the program is, and I wondered if it was necessary to enlarge small areas to expand the color for the sample to be read. I was trying to come up with what might be different in your approaches that might account for the different outcomes.

What I'm trying to do here, is to test an assumption that the higher the color count, the more likely the pearl is to be natural.... but there might be no correlation, and that would be ok.

There is no correlation. A natural and cultured pearl of the same species would have equal or similar color counts.

On mosaics. Instead of free handing the pearl, try circle select, then paste as transparent. You'll notice a gray and white checkerboard (alpha) background, but it won't calculate into color count. Then use the palette tools.

​I'm not sure. Maybe a single sampling is adequate. I decided to ask because I don't know how sensitive the program is, and I wondered if it was necessary to enlarge small areas to expand the color for the sample to be read. I was trying to come up with what might be different in your approaches that might account for the different outcomes.

Resizing shouldn't affect the number of colors used. And yes, a single sample is not adequate. The data is much better spread over a broad sampling. Again, good images, one's that appeal to the eye. I've been thinking about reflected colors, (ie) walls, camera, shirts etc. Neutral or dark colors might have some presence, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It might actually be a terrific thing, because pearls are expected to reflect light and color.

Thanks Dave and Lisa !
I'll get going on the mosaic as soon as I have a couple hours. Just back from a long Thanksgiving week-end and need to catch work first :-(
once, I'm done with this one, I'll do a test with my new pearl (see vintage abalone ? post) and compare it with one I bought from antz... more fun in perspective !!
Best,
Sophie

I took a break from the color palette, (still on the learning curve for the software) but will come back to it.
Those pearls are very difficult to candle. I could not take good pictures with the light through. But I took some new close ups, and the results are really cool I think.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Truly intriguing stuff.
Dave, as you've gotten adept at this, would you please tell us how much time you spend now ​on the whole process, from the photograph to compiling the mosaic for the pallette, to the computations, compared with your early efforts?

Truly intriguing stuff.
Dave, as you've gotten adept at this, would you please tell us how much time you spend now ​on the whole process, from the photograph to compiling the mosaic for the pallette, to the computations, compared with your early efforts?

I've been in British Columbia since 1979. I was a commercial diver and worked in what was then known as the "C" license fisheries. The license described the development of underutilized species harvest in anything other than salmon or herring. I harvested geoducks (and other clams), sea urchins, abalone, sea cucumbers and barnacles. Mostly food resources, but discovered niches in biomedical and ecological research.

Pearls and mussels came into that mix earlier than most. In a sense, it was a full time job even though other species were involved. My first two provincial leases/federal aquaculture permits were established in 1985, including Lagoon Island. The second site was at Indian Island, where I farmed Manila clams (Venerupis philipinarium). I focused on clams at a commercial level, while Lagoon Island remained in development. In those days there was no internet, so you can imagine that pearl culture outside of the mainstream locations was a lonely endeavour. I had some help from marine biologists, shellfish hatcheries and a local pharmacist with ties to Japan. At the same time, another experimental farm was in operation nearby. Dr. Peter Fankboner was experimenting with the viability of abalone pearls at Bamfield, but our philosophies where worlds apart. I approached things from the standpoint of commercial viability, while they operated on grants and academics in the absence of a business plan. Once the money ran out, so did they.

While I have some post secondary education in marine biology, I have other skill sets. Broadcast engineering and media, maritime captain, fire fighting and hazardous materials incident command. While pearls often took a back seat to those trades, they always remained in the forefront as far as continued research goes. Very often between contracts or seasons, I'd revisit my research sites to observe changes or gather new data. That was until 2009, where at the time, I was Chief Engineer of a chain of radio stations and a media stringer. I foresaw major changes in those fields and knew after the 2010 Winter Olympics ended, I'd likely be looking for new work.

I decided to fall back one of my most beloved visions of all... pearls. Since re-establishing myself in that field, my time spent targeting the objective is greater. I've since developed better networking with international individuals, resources and technology, even though many of my methods remain unique to the environment or self explored. I still do other things. I have to. R&D is not cheap and zero revenue is difficult to maintain for long periods. Collaborative research, special collection and data mining bundle nicely with pearl research.

My support for sustainable pearl farming is unshakable. I have all the respect in the world for the decades of trial and error, hard work and clever marketing. I have no connection to any of them in business or technology. In actuality, I take exception to some aspects of the industry as we know it. Monoculture, loss of genetic diversity, anti-fouling and handling, for example. I am well aware of the perils of those aspects and remain committed to diminish or not replicate them in my operation.

Thank you for your interesting background narrative. I think what you've accomplished is marvelous, and it's cool for the new kids to get your stats (sort of) all in one place. I know most of your story is scattered all over PG, in most interesting posts (like your Olympics TV coverage)!

Actually, I was asking about how long it takes you to do your pallette workups, though, for a single pearl. I think for those of us learning your system we need encouragement, just to hope that we'll get to a point where a palette doesn't take us all day.

I doubt that most of us will ever match your accomplishments in life (or probably no hope), but maybe we can master your Palette. (Apparently there's only one L in palette? My tablet keeps underlining it...)

Actually, I was asking about how long it takes you to do your pallette workups, though, for a single pearl. I think for those of us learning your system we need encouragement, just to hope that we'll get to a point where a palette doesn't take us all day.

With a good image, a palette image and color count takes about about 5 minutes. I suppose I could do a video walkthrough to demonstrate the steps as I take them. Use a mouse. Touchpads are clunky and slow and often need two hands.

Don't be discouraged if it takes longer. Keep trying. Use a variety of images, if only just for practice.

Thank you for your encouragements for the palette tool. I know i'll get there in due time. I'm quite computer savy, hence frustrated to be a beginner in a image/photo software. I'm currently focusing on candling and happy to report that i had my first sucess tonight. Will post in the candling thread.

I had figured out a few things about your background here and there, but it's really helpful to have a better picture. The fact that you were a professional diver shed a new light on some of the thing you posted. Fun fact, we might have cross path at the vancouver olympics, as i was there for a few days, and met a colleague/friend that you might know if you worked with the Olympic news (ON) desk ;-)

I doubt that most of us will ever match your accomplishments in life (or probably no hope))

Part of my current job is coaching leaders and executives of a large company in their career developement. I've met very few who are successful in leading a professional and personal life in alignement to their true north (purpose) , while honoring their values. It takes courage, but it's also the key to a more fulfilled and resonant life. Most of us (me included) are hold back by the limitations we put on ourselves. So thank you for sharing your purpose and values, it's rare and inspiring

I'll post some of my background on this thread later on, as it looks like I'm sticking around.

Part of my current job is coaching leaders and executives of a large company in their career developement. I've met very few who are successful in leading a professional and personal life in alignement to their true north (purpose) , while honoring their values. It takes courage, but it's also the key to a more fulfilled and resonant life. Most of us (me included) are hold back by the limitations we put on ourselves.

I could use some career development coaching! (No, seriously) And second on the being inspired by Dave, your work is fascinating to read about.

I love to hear personal things about others' backgrounds. Mostly on this forum we are just "pearls" to each other, so it is nice to get at the human behind the posts. After 9 years here, I posted a serious though compact biography in my, "say a little about yourself" box. I like the idea, as late as I am coming to it, as it gives us a chance to let others know who we are outside the shared pearl world. (I am not implying others should do this, I am just implying others could do this, but doing it in posts is just fine, I am just reporting my changed perspective on that little box, LOL.)

Back