My Latest Expedition

Lagoon Island Pearls

I recently undertook an expedition to survey to my research areas. Among valuable data gathered on ocean acidification, paralytic shellfish poisoning, sea star mortality and invasive species, I managed to harvest a few terrific pearls.

0801 b

A wonderful off-round 6.9mm silver/gray pearl.

natural_pearls1.jpg

Some of the nicer champagne pearls of the lot. Also in the image is a black dragon's eye. Despite their dark rich color, they are still remarkably translucent. Expect to see these to be candled and posted in a few days.

natural_pearls.jpg

These are from the first few days of the expedition.

These are from the final days of the survey. The size averages were smaller than normal, but I was impressed by the broader range of colors.

Wait wait.... How did you manage to harvest that many pearls in one expedition ? (I'm assuming a few days)
I thought the incidence for pearl in oyster was 1 in 12000.... is it different for mussels ? Did you just open thousands of mussels and found the pearls ?
The sheer quantity is amazing to me !

Wait wait.... How did you manage to harvest that many pearls in one expedition ? (I'm assuming a few days)
I thought the incidence for pearl in oyster was 1 in 12000.... is it different for mussels ? Did you just open thousands of mussels and found the pearls ?

good question, I'm wondering as well.

I don't sacrifice anything for the sake of a pearl. These were from a sampling of less than 100 pieces. Most samples for analysis require about 50 grams of shucked meat to attain controlled results. I target large specimens from known sites, where a higher incidence occurs.

Mussels can produce up to a thousand (albeit tiny) pearls, as I have demonstrated in this thread: 1000 Natural Pearls

In my operation, I work with live animals as much as practical. Specimens that yield no pearls or are not suitable candidates for graft tissues are returned to the reef.

Everything in my cultured pearl research plots, go back to the reef. They are graded, grafted, plotted, tagged and sewn back among the others. Free range aquaculture, if you will.

Wow!!! Such beautiful pearls. Especially love that gray one.

how awesome is that! neat colors, fruitful research, what more could one ask? ok i have a question: paralytic shellfish poisoning? who is doing the poisoning and who is getting paralyzed?

ok i have a question: paralytic shellfish poisoning? who is doing the poisoning and who is getting paralyzed?

Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) is a naturally occurring phenomena in the temperate oceans. The main culprit is Gonyaulax spinefera. A genus of dynoflagellates, which are whip tailed creatures known to carry and transmit polyether yessotoxins. Any environmental stress can affect how this species performs in nature. Some claim warmer than normal water temperature, but colder water can cause issues too. Like any other plankton, they have predators. When that predator is interrupted, the otherwise vulnerable target can proliferate in great numbers. When mollusks (particularily bivalves) ingest these, the toxin accumulates into lethal doses. Interestingly enough, it does not affect clams themselves. It only affects the animals or birds that ingest them.

I learned a cool trick from local natives several years ago. I gather a few clams, crack them and place them on the beach where crows and gulls observe. If they go for the clams, I'll eat clams. If they ignore them, I'll pass on the chowder, thank you.

Being a toxin that attacks the central nervous system, affected individuals lose feeling to the touch and muscle function becomes limited. In most cases, it's fatal.

In most cases, clams can rid themselves of the toxin within days or weeks, but California mussels are notorious for their long duration retention and as such are not widely permitted for harvesting as a food source. They also tend to be full of sand and parasites.

In this area, there are several stations where mussels are relayed for a 30 day period then sent to the lab for analysis. It's known as the Constant Monitoring Program. We have offered Clayoquot Island as one of those stations.

These were from a sampling of less than 100 pieces

You got that many pearls from 100 mussels? Amazing results, you're doing something right.

It's definitely not random. I've become familiar with rates of incidence in certain areas. There are multiple factors considered, some obvious, some not so obvious, but in depth examination and microscopy help with those decisions. Thirty five years of observation doesn't hurt either.

This area is designated as a United Nations Biosphere and any project that goes against the grain of sustainable development will invariably meet with objection.

The stability of the biomass is paramount. Likewise is conservation. Although recreational harvesting is allowed in some areas, I am permitted to work in areas that are not. Even if a pearl is found in a sport caught manner in one of the approved areas, the regulations preclude selling or bartering any part of the animal, including the shells.

I can only claim to own grafted specimens or conditionally utilized samples.

Historically, the incidence of pearls can vary tremendously by locality. Blue mussel growers complained that they were going to have to move their operations because of the mussels having an "infestation" of pearls. The mussels had so many pearls that they couldn't be sold as food. Seagulls were defecating on the cliff above the waterline and parasites were invading the mussels and causing the pearly growths. Parasites are the major cause of natural pearls and mollusks can often host them without any detriment to their health. Hope you weren't eating. I wanted to post some parasite photos, but I restrained myself. ;)

The colors of your pearls are captivating. These make me think of chocolates filled with raspberry cream. :cool:

Wow, those are amazing! Dave, is the PSP the same thing as red tide?

Jodie

Wow, those are amazing! Dave, is the PSP the same thing as red tide?

Yes, it's often referred as that. However, red tides can be any major plankton bloom, not just the species discussed here.
Here in BC, Alert Bay, Port Hardy and Northern Vancouver Island have winter PSP warnings where Gonyaulax sp. can be at high levels in otherwise clear water.

Everything in my cultured pearl research plots, go back to the reef. They are graded, grafted, plotted, tagged and sewn back among the others. Free range aquaculture, if you will.

It took me a while to realize that those pearls are actually cultured... (You are very much associated with natural in my mind). The metaphor of free range aquaculture is great.... Now i'm picturing a "U pick" sign just like in blueberries farms ;-)

They are gorgeous pearls, and I'm very envious of this kind of expedition!!

I was in the san juan island over the past week-end and had mussels (penn cove @ penn cove ;-) and clams for evey meals.... Did not find pearls, but i'm glad I survived !

Thank you for sharing your harvest !
Sophie

It took me a while to realize that those pearls are actually cultured... (You are very much associated with natural in my mind). The metaphor of free range aquaculture is great.... Now i'm picturing a "U pick" sign just like in blueberries farms ;-)

These pearls are all naturals. The culture operation is still very much in research and development and strictly segregated from wild stocks. (although intermingled with them on designated areas)

As mentioned earlier, I find these pearls incidentally while preparing shucked meat for analysis or selecting donor candidates for the culture operation. There is no human intervention by any means up to that point.

In a few years, I'll hope to be a U pick, or seller of reasonably priced cultured pearls.

Back