My first multicolor Tahitian pearls

I have a set of jewelry pliers, and one of them is a wire cutter. First I cut the knot or gimp next to the clasp and pull that pearl off. Then I pull on the thread to pull the knot away from the the next pearl and then snip it off between the knot and the pearl. Slip the pearl off. Pull the thread and cut between the knot and the pearl. Repeat until done. I put the flat side of the cutters next to the pearl.

Some people use an Exacto knife.

Scissors are too bulky to get close to the pearl.

Haha, I was taught to never use my good dress making shears to cut paper, because it would dull them. Since paper is just cotton or linen rag that is "felted" instead of "woven" it really makes no difference. Even paper from trees will not dull my cloth scissors. Thread won't dull cutters designed for metal.

Now, I wouldn't cut metal with my cloth scissors, or really thick cardboard. But my husband has some Italian scissors he bought in college (50 years ago!) that we use for that sort of thing, and they have yet to need sharpening. He should have bought a case of those scissors.

I'm not a pro. I rarely cut anything, and only string pearls every couple of years, but I've never ever had a good pair of scissors or cutters go dull on me. Cheap scissors from the drug store have gone dull on me, but never quality scissors.

I actually did not know there were beading scissors, so thank you for that information, JP!

The main thing is to use the right tool for the job.

I confess, I like to use the wire cutters because they don't have a point, so I won't accidentally poke my pearls. And I like the clean smooth flat edge so I can get close between the pearl and the knot.

I also use a box cutter/retractable razor like PD. It's really fast once you get a rhythm going. I do it on an old towel so the pearls don't bounce from the impact of the knife cutting down on the thread. I cut the pearl between two knots.

knot...pearl..... knot
^
place the edge of the knife between the first knot and the edge of the pearl and push down. The downward force will push the pearl outward. Once the thread is cut, you can pull the thread out by pulling on the knot.

JP - good link ! I use a pair of thread scissors which are a short pair with a wide thin blade at times but I like the look of those plier handle ones better. Mine are super cheap.. like 3$ .. but sometimes they are a bit wonky and just need to be tossed. I also have a thread zapper that I use ... I got a new one the other day. Much faster to heat up than the old ones... i'm zapping away like crazy !

I was using good 'ol craft scissors but everyone's recommendations are making me want a proper tool. Off to Michael's I go! ;)

Your pearls are beautiful babyblue! And what a great job on the stringing...I agree the white pearl is spectacular, enjoy them!

Babyblue, Awesome stringing on your gorgeous Tahitians! I'm just catching up with posts; so delighted to see that as so many of you learn to knot and shares photos, others are also inspired to learn! Such a useful skill, besides honoring Caitlin's legacy! She posted this back in 2006:
"Welcome to the The Lowly Beader’s Club, a forum for beaders who use pearls, though we use other beads too. Here you will find our designs, stringing and restringing tips and techniques, sources for findings, and stringing supplies and, best of all, member designs that feature pearls, plus other beads.
Please post your pictures."

Back