My first multicolor Tahitian pearls

Babyblue, that strand is Yummy, and it looks great on your pretty neck.

I learned to knot on Tahitians - I think I re-did my first strand probably 5 times, at least - not necessarily in quick succession. As I got better, I went back & re-did it a couple times. Then I changed the clasp. Then I learned a new technique and re-did it in that technique.

When starting out, I didn't even know that pearls needed to be re-knotted periodically. One of the great things about learning to diy is you can change it as you wish. Your clasp choice doesn't have to be permanent.

Elizabeth

Thank you everyone for your feedback and experience on the clasp. I kind of feel like I have the analysis paralysis, can't seem to make a decision. I have everything else ready, just need to order the clasp and haven't done that yet.

I think I'm gonna try the orbit clasp, but is it worth it to go white gold or would sterling silver be fine?

The sterling silver ones are rhodium plated, if that helps. Mine have not tarnished.

Welcome Babyblue! You have selected a beautiful strand! I love love love Tahitians and never get bored staring at their beautiful colors.

I am not a fan of the ball or magnetic clasps either, although I have some that are just fine. I really like the versatility of the orbits in that I can connect other pieces together. But I find the orbits difficult to use one-handed with a bracelet.

I did it! I just finished stringing the strand and could not believe how easy it was. I read & re-read Pearl Dreams tutorials thinking I just did NOT get it, I thought I was hopeless! Then I just got started and suddenly things actually made sense and once I got going it was a breeze! I was seriously shocked.

Pearls all laid out and orders rearranged.
20180726_092253.jpg

On my neck!
20180726_125328.jpg

I AM going to re-do it because even though I removed 4 pearls already, I didn't think about the length I was adding with the clasps and necklace is longer than I wanted, finished at around 19" and I was looking for more like 17"-18" at most. Hopefully it'll be as smooth sailing the second time around.

Thank you everyone for your recommendation of orbit clasps too, it's worked out beautifully. It looks great and is easy to use.

Congratulations! I just recently did my first strand, too. I'm hoping that with time it gets easier to do( I'm sure it will). Pearl dreams's guide definitely helped me out!

Oh, yes, it gets easier! Good first job!! I'm always playing around with lengths and adding and removing pearls.

It's wonderful!

I am planning to update the tutorial, by the way. Now that almost no one uses Power Pro or tweezers, I feel like it needs a redo.

I'm also hoping my daughter (who is away for the next few weeks) will help me make a number of very short videos demonstrating each stage of the stringing process, so that folks can just replay the part that shows what they need to understand better.

It was pretty enjoyable, and very satisfying in the end :) I did quickly redid it again, removing 4 more pearls. I think I got the length right this time but will wear it for a bit to see if I like it.

It's wonderful!

I am planning to update the tutorial, by the way. Now that almost no one uses Power Pro or tweezers, I feel like it needs a redo.

I'm also hoping my daughter (who is away for the next few weeks) will help me make a number of very short videos demonstrating each stage of the stringing process, so that folks can just replay the part that shows what they need to understand better.
Thank you again for the tutorial, it was easy to follow once I got started. Videos would be awesome, certain steps would definitely be easier to understand if one can actually watch someone do it.

I would've never thought I could do this myself if it weren't for this forum. Thank you!

With the pearls you removed you could:
• make dangle earrings, or charms to hang from a hoop earring, or an earring jacket to wear with studs
• make a bracelet with wire-wrapped links, or if you have a charm bracelet you could wire wrap the pearls to hang as charms.
• make an extender for this necklace (using the same clasp as you used for the necklace, so they interconnect)
• set them aside for a future project, possibly combined with other pearls...maybe a tin cup with different kinds/colors of pearls.
• the only limit is your imagination

Babyblue your necklace is beautiful. I also just last weekend strung my strand from Cees, my first stringing also. It's pretty exciting, isn't it?

With the pearls you removed you could:
• make dangle earrings, or charms to hang from a hoop earring, or an earring jacket to wear with studs
• make a bracelet with wire-wrapped links, or if you have a charm bracelet you could wire wrap the pearls to hang as charms.
• make an extender for this necklace (using the same clasp as you used for the necklace, so they interconnect)
• set them aside for a future project, possibly combined with other pearls...maybe a tin cup with different kinds/colors of pearls.
• the only limit is your imagination
So many ideas! Thank you. Dangle or charm earrings sound great, something I can easily wear. Next project! :)

Babyblue your necklace is beautiful. I also just last weekend strung my strand from Cees, my first stringing also. It's pretty exciting, isn't it?
I thought getting the strand was exciting enough but stringing it myself added a whole another level of excitement :) I restrung it 3 times just to get it PERFECTLY, I'm glad I was able to do that myself.

So after re-doing it 3 times, here's my final product and I think I'm really happy with how it came out. Shortened the overall length, moved a few pearls around, brought down the 1 white pearl I love a bit more so it's more visible.

Gosh, how do you get the photograph to show the colors properly? It looks so gray and blegh when in real life colors are so beautiful and vibrant :(
20180802_142942.jpg

Perfect!!!! It always takes me 3 tries when I restring to get the necklace the way I want.

It looks wonderful!

Tahitians show off their colors best in diffuse light. Walk around with a hand mirror until you find a place inside (or outside in the shade) where the colors pop, and take the photo there.

You did a great job with your knotting! Looks terrific, I'm glad you moved the white pearl, it looks symmetrical-by-design. Yes, photographing pearls is difficultl! If you're inside, try to photograph in natural lighting by a window, not bright sunlight. Or as PD said, outside in a shaded area. Well done!

I love how it turned out! Since I'll be knotting my first Tahitian strand soon, I love seeing other "beginners" progress (mine was a fairly inexpensive necklace, so it came strung simply, without knots and I'm really scared when wearing it ;) )
Just a question, though: how do you cut the knots when you make a mistake? Without damaging the pearls? You said you made 3 attempts, so you had so many knots to cut! How does one do it safely? :confused:

Back