My experience with Power Pro

Fireline is not really suitable for pearl/bead threading.

Is there a specific reason why? I've used it for some of the stringing I've done, and the only con I have found is that it's pretty stiff to work with.

Fireline is the closest thing I have found to my kiteline (called spider line) no color, no drag, no cutting into the pearls or hands.

Is there a specific reason why? I've used it for some of the stringing I've done, and the only con I have found is that it's pretty stiff to work with.

Fireline is more akin to mono-filament fishing line then a thread made of fibres. Dust & muck tends to embed itself into the surface making a nice little rod saw (on a micro level) - whereas with a thread that is fibrous the particles can move through the gaps. a fibrous thread gives a better drape. And lastly from a repair perspective - restringing a strand that has been on this type of material for any length of time is murderous - both on the re-threader and often on the pearls themselves. I have lost count of the number of strands where I have had to actually drill out the "remains" which have essentially welded themselves in.

Knotty - are you referring to spiderline - or spyderline?
Spyderline is a braided spectra thread - whereas I understand spiderline to be a monofilament - Completely different animals.

Okay, my PowerPro arrived so I'm going to restring one of my FW strands and see if I like it better. It does feel a lot more pliable and easier to manage so I'm looking forward to seeing how it knots.

Knotty - are you referring to spiderline - or spyderline? Spyderline is a braided spectra thread - whereas I understand spiderline to be a monofilament - Completely different animals.

I'm referring to spiderline, a competition kite line which is no longer manufactured. I got it literally twenty years ago to fly kites with no interest in beading. I used to think PowerPro was similar to it until I actually saw PowerPro. They are nothing alike.

Wow I never heard of powerpro. I must live on an other planet or something.
I only use gudebrod silk to string pearls or this Chinese brand of nylon to string gemstones.
Thanks for the info. I will look it up.

Is it easy to knot? Because its fishing line, wouldn't the knots slide out of place?

Last edited:
Last night I restrung my Pearllunar pearls with PowerPro, and I'm thrilled with the way it performs. Knotting was so much easier, and it was a cinch to work with. I think I'm probably going to restring all my pearls!

Sure glad I found this thread, and this forum. I've learnt so much.....;)

ppro1.jpg

Last night I restrung my Pearllunar pearls

Pearllunar? She's back? I haven't been able to find her in a while.

SheB you have done a terrific job, your knots are very neat.

Cyens, if you do rethreading on a commercial basis you will find it very severe on your hands. Yes it knots beautifully, the knots do not slip, but if you get it as a rethreading repair it can be a pig to cut the knots out.

When I first reknotted all my favorites on Powpro, I used a hand repair creme because I got a bit calloused.

As for the knots- not all scissors are equal. DO NOT USE QUALITY SCISSORS TO CUT POWER PRO.Regular scissors chew it up before it cuts through.

Power Pro requires the sharp little nippers shaped like a horse shoe and costing less than $5. I buy several at a time online. link. They make fast work of pow-pro knots.

Gandermountain.com is having a PowerPro sale. This is web price only per website. I have not checked brick and mortar store to see whether it has same pricing. They only carry red and moss green. As you have been told by Caitlin, red and yellow bleed. Buy white and green only. :)

Moss green 150 yard spool is $11.99 and 300 yard spool is $22.99. They ship to your local store for free. Home delivery's standard shipping is free also (no minimum requirement). This is much better than Cabela's pricing (and you have to pay shipping or must order a lot) and my local Sport Authority pricing.

$5 off every $50 if you use GMTN5 promotional code, expires 9-30-10.

Back