MS river pearls? Advice/opinions?

battah

An antiques dealer I know a little bit has found a brooch for me with some natural pearls (I've been wanting some naturals). She says the pin is 14k art nouveau, with natural pearls and an OEC diamond. She says the pearls haven't been xrayed, but given that it's from the art nouveau period it predates Mikomoto etc so the pearls should be naturals, and given that it's American they should be MS river pearls. Any thoughts on this? I really like it and will probably go for it if it seems legit.

Screenshot_20160728-110901.jpg

Screenshot_20160728-110913.jpg

I would agree. Based on the era and the look, they should be natural pearls. Very nice - wish the photos were bigger, but if you get it, please come back and post nice big photos for us to drool over!

Thanks, GG! She sent me the pictures on Instagram and I took screenshots, I'll see if I can figure out a way to make them bigger. I think I'll keep it as a brooch rather than converting it. Or just add a loop so I can wear it as a pendant or brooch? I don't want to mess with it much.

Battah, I've been looking around for MS river pearls, as well. That's a lovel pin - if the price is right I would go for it! Would love to see larger pics, if possible.

Lady D, great idea - I've never heard of a pin stem converter! That sounds like a wonderful little device - where would one find it? Rio grande, Bella Findings... ??

LD, great advice, I've never heard of those either! Given that it's an old piece, I'd rather not do any bench work so that's a perfect suggestion.

lmgarden, I can ask the woman who found it for me if she's come across anything similar for you! She has a blog I can hook you up with, she's very responsive.

You can get them in Rio and I am sure in a lot of other places.

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-Brooch-Converter/613011

However, if you have a trusty bench person, it might be better to have them make one for you out of some thin tubing. Then you can have the bail placed at the optimum spot for your brooch (and a nicer bail as well) or two bails if it would hang better. It is also possible to make a vertical one, even though Rio doesn't carry them.

Thanks for the pin converter suggestions! Beatriz you're right, having something made would be nice. I wish you were local so I could bug you to do it for me!

They do, don't they, MSC? I haven't seen that many but they seem to have those little edges, almost like a mabe pearl but not quite as flat.

There are several styles of converters, horizontal or vertical. Your jeweler can also create custom ones to fit the shaft of the pin so they don't swing.

Battah that really is a lovely find! Thanks for starting this thread - I've been thinking of converting this bracelet, that was gifted to me, from akoyas to natural pearls. Maybe pipis or MS river, not sure yet. The akoyas are not great - possibly originally it may have had natural pearls. But I believe the clasp pearls might be natural. I'm guessing it's circa 1900-20's. Any thoughts on the dates??

Thanks LD and Pearl Dreams for the converter tip! I just bought 3 sizes!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 28
Juliebeth, right? I love pieces like that. I hadn't even considered having something made because these old pieces are so special.

Lmgarden oh my, that clasp is stunning!! I so you think you might do pipis? So gorgeous. I think PP had some gorgeous champagne akoya keshi a while back, those would be stunning as well.

lmgarden that clasp is a gorgeous Victorian! I can't tell from the photo if it's tarnished gold or gold fill that's worn down; is it stamped at all? All the bezel/bead set pearls are probably half pearls and all the pearls in the clasp should all be natural, though the photo makes it appear as if one may be a replacement (middle bar, pearl to the left of center).

I think golden akoyas would be really pretty with that clasp!

Thanks for the pin converter suggestions! Beatriz you're right, having something made would be nice. I wish you were local so I could bug you to do it for me!

Oh, I would love to be closer to you. It gets lonely down here. Too few pearl people. And I would gladly do these things for everyone, Hey, if anyone has patience for the post...

Back