mother of pearl

pearlinterest

I would love your expertise! The term "mother of pearl bead" isn't it really shell bead not actually mother of pearl? Is pure mother of pearl ever used in jewelry (mother of pearl beads) or as a nucleus (mother of pearl nucleated)? I always assumed it was actually the shell that included the mother of pearl lining but not pure mother of pearl. I thought the only true mother of pearl was for very expensive "shirt buttons". I am trying to update myself and be as accurate as possible. Thank you!

So you are saying there is no distinction between mother of pearl and the entire shell? I thought mother of pearl was just the aragonite lining inside the shell.

You are thinking of the solidly iridescent part of the shell, which is used for jewelry. Some shell has little to no iridescence. Both types and everything in between is used for bead nuclei to implant oysters and mussels.

These mother of pearl beads are nucleus for cultured pearls. They have been cut from the pigtoe mussel from the Mississippi River. You can see how thick the piece of cut shell is. (These were a gift from Mikeyy at Ruckus a few years back.) The shell shows a little iridescence, but some of the polished beads are very lustrous.

P1000797.jpg

I am thinking of both types and everything in between as you mention. I understand it is used for bead nuclei. I am trying to clarity if the term mother of pearl is okay to use for all of those "shell materials" used as nucleus even if it is not just the lining but also the rest of the shell. Thanks so much!!!!!

Back