More Tahitian pearl nacre fun!

jshepherd

Hisano sliced a few more Tahitian pearls this morning and I was glancing over her shoulder and decided I had to take a few more photos.

I think it's really interesting to see the different shapes that can come from a round bead. The pearl on the right in the first shot is expecially interesting. I am not sure what happened at that squared off section.

Sliced Tahitian pearls showing nacre depth

Sliced Tahitian pearls showing nacre thickness

The nacre is really thick on all of them. It's the rule not the exception with these pearls from Mangareva - the Rikiteas. They are perfect for Hisano too. If the nacre were 0.8, there is no way she could bore them out and set stones and set them in jewelry.

The top right is the most interesting to me. You can see the the square-ish shape in the nacre is the predecessor of the final shape, but it's missing the rings. It makes one wonder what really happens inside that pearl sac ....

To gain a 3D perspective, more than one axis need to be examined.

A 2D view of a cylinder can appear as a circle or a square, depending on which axis is viewed.

perspective.jpg

" The pearl on the right in the first shot is expecially interesting. I am not sure what happened at that squared off section."

Sponge Bob Square Pants?

Very cool photos. Thank you for sharing.

nice info, Hisano and Jeremy. Hope you you both don't become too scientific because all your Tahitian pearls might end up like these and Jeremy wants to climb into a pearl sac

I've always loved science so its no wonder I find this especially interesting. How thick would you say the nacre is on these pearls, Jeremy? Why is there an air bubble(?) above the bead? Are the Rikiteas harvested longer than other Tahitians, or is there magic in their waters? They always have such vivid colors.

Thank you so much Pearl Dreams! I spent over an hour reading up and clicking on links and admiring Josh's amazing photography! Yes, I ended up half way around the world and in the ocean with sharks, vortexes, and surfers flying overhead! What a great forum! :D

Back