More Fiji Pearls

Lovely pearls, Pareltje! Justin, congrats on a beautiful harvest! Those colors are beyond intense!

I view the post as merely sharing photos of lovely Fiji pearls, which all of us pearl lovers enjoy seeing. Eye candy! :D

As to private messages, I think sometimes people don't notice that they have a private message on P-G. If you look at your General Settings on your profile you'll see that people can set up their preferences in various ways. Members can opt to receive or not receive PMs from other members, to receive or not receive email notification that they have a PM, to have a pop-up alert them to the existence of a new PM or not have a pop-up, etc.

There is no accounting for why (or when) people do or do not reply to emails. In an ideal world we would all get a reply to every inquiry we send. Recently I wrote to Longaberger to inquire as to whether my casserole was oven safe to 450º F. (for bread baking). I received an automated reply saying that they would reply later. Weeks later they replied, merely quoting their earlier email that said they would reply later, and that this meant my problem was resolved and it concluded our transaction. I guess I'm on my own, LOL!

Sometimes no reply is a reply. Then we take our business elsewhere....

There is no accounting for why (or when) people do or do not reply to emails.

About 3 decades ago, I wrote to Singer to see if they had or could Xerox a copy of the the manual for their 1902 treadle sewing machine. I had just gotten my grandfather's Singer. He was a tailor when he came to the USA in 1902 and bought the machine for $25.

Two years later I get a phone call, and they guy on the other end is talking to me like I know what he's talking about. I asked him what he was referring to, and he said my letter I sent them. I asked him to read it to me. He was surprised that I did not remember the contents of the letter. I asked him the date, and he said, "oooooooh." He then told me they didn't have any copies of the manual, but he thinks he could Xerox one for me. I thanked him for finally getting back to me, and told him no thanks. My Mom had a copy of her high school textbook for sewing class, and it happened to be for the exact same machine that my grandfather had. The high school used old, outdated, donated machines, so it turned out perfect. At least Singer did eventually hire someone to go through their in box. I think Singer quit making sewing machines in the 1970s, and switched over to making bombs and defense equipment for the military. Sewing machine support was not a high priority.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah, I have a hard time noticing when someone has private messaged me, so I guess I'm bad at responding to e-mails, too.

A story pleasant to read, BWeaves, more than replies I receive from a few suppliers, especially chinese biggest one... question: "I have seen you sell keshi pearls, are there true keshi? (talking about unusual "keshi" pearls sizes)... reply: "How many do you want to buy?"... question: "First, I should want to be sure there are no nucleus in your pearls".... Reply: "How many do you want to buy"... Question: "Sorry, will you, please, answer to my questions?"... Reply: "Is you, the keshi!". How high is the wall of the money, now.

Last edited:
...or maybe the barrier is one of language? It seems like the Chinese suppliers didn't understand your question.

Perhaps it's my own language difficulty, to understand that when a seller says to me I am a keshi, I am flamed (or insulted, I don't fell the difference)... I find strange vegetables on a market, sold as potatoes. I ask the seller if these are true potatoes, no reply but at last, he tells me that I am a potato, how is it called?
In fact, I talk about that to point difficulties to buy online. I think that the problems are real and plentiful, to see how websites like Aliexpress, where I often buy, have developed such severe trading policies, to keep buyers' trusting relationship.
But it's far from Fidji pearls and their beauty...:)

Last edited:
I think the seller's language skills were very limited and that he was not calling you a keshi. Maybe he was trying to say-- "it's for you, a keshi" "it's what you want, a keshi".

People who don't speak a language well can make very striking mistakes. I made a few dramatic mistakes myself while learning a Bantu language during my years doing rural health work in Africa. One of my coworkers make the striking pronouncement that drinking termites wasn't good for you (he was trying to say that smoking tobacco wasn't good for you...it took only a very small error to turn it into a nonsensical statement.)

One time after I'd been there 6 years and was rather fluent, I asked someone how to say airstrip (we had an airstrip to evacuate people in emergencies.) She said the word, and I repeated it.
"She's swearing!" she cried out in horror. It must have been a doozy to elicit that reaction. :eek:
I said, "Sorry, tell me the word again." She did, and I repeated it carefully.
"Oh no, she swore again!"
I gave up. :rolleyes: I never did figure out what I had actually said.

I have not refound the phrase in my mails, but I assure you it was like I have talken about.
Language difficulties are mine, also, I spend so a great attention when I am writing in english, and even that, I can't stop everything uncorrect.
People always indicated railway station to my wife, travelling in Thailand, when she asked the toilets: for a foreigner, the two words were looking like so much to pronounce that it was impossible to use them without mistake... not good to have a train to catch!

Last edited:
That is funny! The words for toilets and railway stations being so similar.

I have CNN on right now and there is a commercial for Babbel. com. A man being introduced to his girlfriend's parents and attempting to speak their language says "My father rides a porcupine" and "My mother is a noodle".

I recall reading of someone who visited Germany and wanted a hot dog but inadvertently asked for a "dog in heat."

Bloopers are easy to make. When there is a language barrier, I think it's best to assume the best about people's intentions rather than to feel offended.

Oh yes, translation using software creates great hilarity!! And yes, I love to laugh. ;)

By the way, I understand that when you write "traduce" you are attempting to translate traduire -- but the correct word is "translate".
"Traduce" is also an English word but it means something different. Per Merriam-Webster dictionary:
Definition of traduce

traduced; traducingtransitive verb
1: to expose to shame or blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation
2: violate, betray
  • traduce a principle of law

But I think we've wandered pretty far off topic.
Back to Fiji pearls!
:)

Last edited:
Back