More Fiji Pearls

Thank you Newberry and Katbran! I do like wearing bracelets.

lmgarden- I'm glad you went with the harvest strand, and I really want to see the keshis and Fijis when completed!

The bracelets are just gorgeous.

And yeah, famous last words. They never seem to apply to pearls, though.

lmgarden - Of course you needed a SS harvest strand in addition to those gorgeous Fiji pearls. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

jeg- Love all your Fiji bracelets. The two colorful ones, and that one filled with the chocolate kisses. All wonderful colors of Fiji.

Thanks BWeaves and Red! I love the variation in color and the way they show their color no matter the lighting.

Thanks BWeaves and Red! I love the variation in color and the way they show their color no matter the lighting.

Exactly. Fiji pearls have great coloring in all lighting, whereas Tahitian overtones often disappear and go grey. Similarly with all but the top SoC. We are going into our 6 months of cold and darkness and very low light angles when we are outside. I so enjoy my Fijis all winter long, as well as the other seasons.

Exactly. Fiji pearls have great coloring in all lighting, whereas Tahitian overtones often disappear and go grey. Similarly with all but the top SoC. .

I did not know that. Thanks for the good information. Now I have to start hunting down Fiji pearls, so we missed them at Ruckus (or they missed us).

Exactly. Fiji pearls have great coloring in all lighting, whereas Tahitian overtones often disappear and go grey. Similarly with all but the top SoC. We are going into our 6 months of cold and darkness and very low light angles when we are outside. I so enjoy my Fijis all winter long, as well as the other seasons.

Well that's really interesting! I wonder what makes that happen ? Or not happen .. ?

Body color vs overtones? Just my uneducated guess. Not only do they come in more variety of color, the bodies are a strong, solid color. Much like freshwater pearls like pinks and lavenders hold their color in any light because of the solid body color. A lot of Tahitians have the black or grey body color with overtones, so it depends on the lighting whether the overtones show at their best. Again, I'm just guessing-

Yes, I think you are correct, jeg. Fiji pearls have strong body colors which hold in different lighting. I was telling Jeremy this last fall when I flew out to LA and visited PP. That this is why I think Fijis are such a hit. I'm sure he doesn't see what I see since he lives in LA. Winter light in the North is not like winter light in LA. I rarely see the overtones in my Tahitians. It is such a delight to bring them to LA in the summer and see them light up. My Robert Wan multi-color Tahitian strand has a light silver body and a gold body Tahitian, but most of the rest are various shades of medium grey. Still pretty because there are still some overtones in most lights, but not as colorful as my Fiji bracelets.

Red, that's interesting. I find that my pearls get totally washed out in the Florida sunlight. I can't wait until winter, because that's when they look their best. The sun is "clearer" (not as humid), but lower in the sky, so not so intense. Pearls I went gaga over at Ruckus looked so washed out when I got them home.

This discussion about colors in different lighting is really interesting. I know most of my pearls really pop in shaded sunlight, so I've wondered before whether pearl love ends up being regional due to lighting conditions really showing off their beauty.

I always photograph my pearls in the shade, which is why the diamonds and opals always look dull. And sometimes the shade is even too bright.

Red, that's interesting. I find that my pearls get totally washed out in the Florida sunlight. I can't wait until winter, because that's when they look their best. The sun is "clearer" (not as humid), but lower in the sky, so not so intense. Pearls I went gaga over at Ruckus looked so washed out when I got them home.

Ha, ha. I bet that your winter light is closer to my summer light.

Late to this thread but my goodness, these Fiji pearls are stunning. Guess my wish list is expanding again!
J.

The summer sunlight here is so intense that pearls totally lose their colour . And summer is Looooong ! :(

I'm looking forward to seeing some Fiji pearls in real life !

Sounds like a good excuse to buy Fiji pearls to me! On the other hand, the beautiful WSS pearls look amazing all year. :)

I had a stringing play date with Marianne so she could give me a refresher course on French wire finishing. Here's one of the projects I worked on. These are wildly baroque and colorful Fiji pearls I received from Cees. I decided to arrange them in a short strand. Fun pearls!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lengthened with a bracelet
FullSizeRender.jpg

Back