Mikomoto vs Pearl Paradise comparison-- HELP!

lee.haejin

I bought a strand of AAA Akoya pearls from Pearl Paradise to compare with a Mikimoto A1 strand. Would love the expert opinion of those on this forum about which strand to keep! Granted, the Mikomoto pearls are smaller and technically a lower grade, so I know it's not a complete apples to apples comparison... but i can't keep both and my untrained eye is having trouble seeing any huge differences, so would be grateful for everyone's thoughts!

TOP: Mikomoto A1, 6.5-7mm
BOTTOM: Pearl Paradise AAA, 7-7.5mm

Pearls1.JPG
Mikimoto strand compared with Pearl Paradise
Pearls3.JPG
Mikimoto and Pearl Paradise

There is no standardized grading for pearls. Each vendor sets their own grading scale.

From your photos the luster seems about the same, so I think you should ask yourself:

1. Which size would you enjoy wearing more?
2. Which tone looks better on your skin? The larger pearls are rosier.
3. If money is a consideration, which strand offers the better value?

Personally I would keep the pearl paradise strand, the luster is the same, they are bigger and probably a better value.

I agree. The luster looks the same with the PP strand having some rose overtones. It's really up to you as to which size you prefer. They're both beautiful!

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback! I think I am going to keep the Pearl Paradise strand. I do like the bigger size and the more rosy undertone. I'm happy that no one seems to be able to tell a huge difference in luster, I thought I was going cross- eyed analyzing them by every window and light in my house LOL... So grateful for you all on this forum! :)

Put them on. Take neck shots. Then compare them. I find that pearls completely change when I put them on (they usually look better).

If it were me, I'd keep the PP strand.

Thank you, pattye! I decided to keep the PP strand! I think I will get more use out of it and I like sizing of the individual pearls better! Thank you for your help :) So excited to join this wonderful community!!

Totally agree! I decided to go with the PP strand! sits nicer and the size of the pearls looks better on my frame! Thank you for your help :)

Pics wearing the pearls!

Pics wearing the pearls!

Top- Mikimoto A1 6.5-7mm Bottom- Pearl Paradise AAA 7-7.5mm

Top- Mikimoto A1 6.5-7mm
Bottom- Pearl Paradise AAA 7-7.5mm

Based on your photos I think you made the better choice by keeping the larger, rosier PP strand.

Great choice! While I love Mikimoto, you are paying for the name when you buy them. The PP strand looks beautiful on you & the size is perfect!! Enjoy!

Love the neck shot. Definitely the PP strand. Good choice. You won't regret it.

My equally untrained eye thought that the luster of the mikis was just a smidgeon better, but they are also significantly smaller and I think it gets harder to get good luster as the pearl size goes bigger right?

Nevertheless, the neck shot proves that the PP strand is perfect for you and making me consider getting my own strand of AA / AAA from them...

As others pointed out, they were probably also better value (if you do not care for the Miki brand name)

Last edited:
Back