Mikimoto clasp

jeannkits

There are some pearls listed as Mikimoto, but do not have the M in a clam shell. The seller writes that most but not all Mikimotos have this mark. Does anyone have information on this issue. I know that Sea Magic and others do not have the mark, but as far as I know, true Mikimotos have this mark.
Thanks for any help.

Hi jeannkits,

I think you are wise to be careful.

I don't know much about Mikimoto, but their website says this (I bolded the relevant text):

[FONT=Avenir LT W01_85 Heavy]"What is the Mikimoto trademark? How do I know that my pearl jewelry is Mikimoto?[/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT W02_55 Roman]You can always identify Mikimoto jewelry by our trademark, which is either the outline of an oyster or the Mikimoto name engraved on every jewel. This engraved mark can be found in the following locations:[/FONT]

• Necklaces and bracelets: back of clasp. They are also fitted with a signature M charm. As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it.
  • Earrings: on post, earring nuts or back of earrings
  • Rings: inside the shank
  • Pendants: on the back of the bail
  • Brooches: on the underside of the brooch"

http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/faq

Mikimoto clasp

Hi jeannkits,

I think you are wise to be careful.

I don't know much about Mikimoto, but their website says this (I bolded the relevant text):

[FONT=Avenir LT W01_85 Heavy]"What is the Mikimoto trademark? How do I know that my pearl jewelry is Mikimoto?[/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT W02_55 Roman]You can always identify Mikimoto jewelry by our trademark, which is either the outline of an oyster or the Mikimoto name engraved on every jewel. This engraved mark can be found in the following locations:[/FONT]

• Necklaces and bracelets: back of clasp. They are also fitted with a signature M charm. As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it.
  • Earrings: on post, earring nuts or back of earrings
  • Rings: inside the shank
  • Pendants: on the back of the bail
  • Brooches: on the underside of the brooch"

http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/faq

Thanks for confirming much of what I already Knew. I read another article that said that some pearl necklaces that soldiers brought back after WWII "may not" have the M in a clam shell, but it is still a big IF. These ,also, may not be knotted between each bead.

Thanks for confirming much of what I already knew. I just read an article on line. It said that some necklaces that where brought back after WWII may not have the M in a clamshell. These might not be knotted except for the first three beads next the clasp on both sides. One woulds still be taking a big chance, as the M in a clam shell is the only way to identify the pearls. I have read that an xray can tell if they are Mikimoto. I don't know how.

X-raying would not tell you whether a pearl was Mikimoto brand; it would only show you whether there is a bead nucleus inside the pearl.
Mikimoto themselves say they cannot appraise a strand as being Mikimoto brand without the clasp.
On that FAQ page on Mikimoto site it says:

"As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it."

Of course, since people sell Mikimoto clasps on eBay, it would be very easy for someone to string an inferior strand of pearls with a Mikimoto clasp (even a genuine one) in order to sell the inferior pearls at a premium price.

There are also fake Mikimoto clamshell-marked clasps. I've read that the clamshell mark of the genuine clasp is not totally symmetrical-- that one side of the lower part of the clamshell is thicker than the other side.

All in all, I would be leery of buying pre-owned Mikimoto items online without the paperwork, personally.

Back