men and pearls

My husband is a professional opera musician and I've purchased for him several pearls, though not necklaces. He has Mikimoto cufflinks, vintage shirt studs and a tie tack and gets comments on them all the time! He has not graduated into any necklaces or bracelets, but he sure loves seeing them on ME and I'm OK with that!!!
Mikimoto cufflinks, vintage shirt studs and a tie tack
Mikimoto cufflinks, vintage shirt studs and a tie tack

Those are nice!

My husband is a professional opera musician and I've purchased for him several pearls, though not necklaces. He has Mikimoto cufflinks, vintage shirt studs and a tie tack and gets comments on them all the time! He has not graduated into any necklaces or bracelets, but he sure loves seeing them on ME and I'm OK with that!!!View attachment 463767View attachment 463768
Those shirt studs are gorgeous. I'd constantly be looking for a white or black tie event if I had them so as just to find an excuse to wear 'em. Lol.

Nice...but do try a black t-shirt so it it's more contrasting...a black pearl would have been great too!

My hairdresser is a close friend and he has been cutting my hair for longer than I like to admit. Lately he's been so interested in my "pearling" endeavors. So, I'm going to make him a necklace...he doesn't wear pearls yet so I was looking for something that might be a bit trendy for him. I found a necklace on the internet that I'm going to try and copy. Half of the length of the necklace in chain and the other half in flat Biwa-type FW pearls with Keshi or Round FW inbetween the Biwa's. I've ordered some blue/purple/gray biwa-type flat FW pearls and some black stainless steel chain with a black stainless steel rustic toggle clasp. Sounds interesting, right...very manly! (I've seen this trendy style on girls as well, but in the silver stainless with white biwa type FW's). I'll post how it turns out! I think he'll love it!
Would you recommend a 20"-22" for most men...to show just inside a button shirt or polo? He's and average size gentleman.

Last edited:
#2 and #3, Helloice and Leigh Maxwell designs!

I've worn a strand of Tahitians out and about, but my most worn piece is just a single on leather. I also have a large abalone pearl set on leather.
Yes, and both single pearl pendants look great!

Still waiting on my pearls to arrive in the mail...the chain attached to the toggle is ready to go and looks great! In the meantime I'm considering how to connect the pearls to the chain...silk thread/beading wire/silicone beading wire...I'm thinking the thicker silicone beading wire might be best. I can always put those little silicone protectors between the pearls since there won't be knots.

Still waiting on my pearls to arrive in the mail...the chain attached to the toggle is ready to go and looks great! In the meantime I'm considering how to connect the pearls to the chain...silk thread/beading wire/silicone beading wire...I'm thinking the thicker silicone beading wire might be best. I can always put those little silicone protectors between the pearls since there won't be knots.
Both photos you show have the pearls knotted on thread using gimp around the last links on either side. I think that will give the smoothest transition from the chain to the pearls. If you use silicone beading thread, you will need to have drill holes large enough to hide the knots on the ends. I love the inspiration pieces.

Pearls have arrived! I'll be working on them in the next few days. The FW larger Keshi in white and blue/purple/green tones; both are amazing, especially in bright light. I will post them when I'm done. I'll see what looks better, knots or wire, perhaps with some sort of transition smaller pearl or metal accent bead. I'm not using lovely high end pearls like the examples above. I might do that on a more expensive chain later. For now, I decided to use less expensive materials to get a feel for the piece. Thanks for everyone's wonderful input. Photos of the finished pieces to come.
IMG_2258[1].JPG

#2 and #3, Helloice and Leigh Maxwell designs!

I've worn a strand of Tahitians out and about, but my most worn piece is just a single on leather. I also have a large abalone pearl set on leather.
"Hello-Ice" makes more sense now! I looked at their website and their prices are SO LOW for pearls...are they just using bulk FW pearls for these necklaces? What do you think?

ARGH...my package with my great value Akoya's and the byzantine bracelet was LOST IN THE MAIL. It says it was delivered but it was not in my box. So they are GONE. I'm so sad. Perhaps they'll show up, but some other lucky (and dishonest) person probably got them. Now I'm back to the drawing board to find components for this necklace. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a refund at least...

Looks lovely!
You should post a photo of her wearing the necklace once you give it to her!

Back