Long-Term Pearl Storage Question

Y

youngster

My lovely mother-in-law (in her 80's now) has given my husband some of her jewelry for long-term storage in our safe deposit box. Included among the pieces are a strand of akoya pearls from the 1940's, a double strand akoya bracelet, and a double strand of silver/blue baroque akoya from the 1950's/60's. (This particular strand is what got me so excited about PP's baroque akoyas that were recently available. Compared side-by-side to the double strand that PP made for me, they are difficult, but not impossible, to distinguish.) There are also several pairs of pearl earrings.

I've read that storage in a safe deposit box is not a good idea. It's too dry an environment for the pearls. But, we really don't have a choice. She's having us store them because she recently had several other lovely old family pieces stolen :mad: and she doesn't want to risk these.

Any advice? Could they go into the safe deposit box for a few months at a time, then be taken out for a time, then put back in? Help pearl people, help!

Put a glass of water or a damp towel inside the safe or safety deposit box. This helps give off moisture.

Gail

Pearlgully said:
Put a glass of water or a damp towel inside the safe or safety deposit box. This helps give off moisture.

Gail

Gail,
do You know how this would affect documents (paper)? Is there no risk for mould?

That was what I had thought of. Maybe if I put a small damp sponge in there with the pearls (inside their own sealed box), that enough moisture would be given off to protect them. I'd check on them every few months and replenish the moisture as needed.

I'm not too worried about the documents in there. I don't think enough moisture would be introduced to effect them.

Inge,

You can always wrap the documents in a plastic bag for protection.

As far as mold, I've never left my pearls in a safe for more than three weeks at a time, not long enough to have a problem. Just keep them in a small jewelry box and check on them periodically. The pearls will dry out if you do not include some sort of moisture.

Gail

Pearlgully said:
Inge,

You can always wrap the documents in a plastic bag for protection.

As far as mold, I've never left my pearls in a safe for more than three weeks at a time, not long enough to have a problem. Just keep them in a small jewelry box and check on them periodically. The pearls will dry out if you do not include some sort of moisture.

Gail

I think I?ll take out my pearls periodically into my bathroom, start the shower so I get a really misty air and let them there a couple of hours. That should do the trick! Secondly I try to wear them as much as possible. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,
I am going to deliver you one of my secret about taking care of pearls.

Of course, I always check the glass of water is full in the safe .
The pearls? I never put them in any box to let them breathe,
and sometimes, I take the pearls I don't wear for long for a "gentle outside walk "
HOW ?

Well, when it's laundry day, I take them out and gently put them between 2 wet sheets.
When it is dry, the pearls go back home.. till next time.

They like it very much, their luster told me so ;)

Pearlgully said:
The pearls will dry out if you do not include some sort of moisture.
Gail
Hi Experts out there, just curious if pearls can absorb moisture and return to their original condition after they dry out? I have an akoya pearls strand which was purchased 8 years ago and the strand has been kept safely in the original box. During the past 8 years, I have taken it out to wear less than 5 times. I suspect the pearls are probably dry out but I cannot really tell.

Last edited:
Back