London exhibition at the V and A museum

Isi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but since this exhibition is mostly about natural pearls... has anybody around here gone to see it ?
http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-pearls/about-the-exhibition/

I am just back from it.
I was very surprised that, although rare species of shells and pearls were on display, I could not see in the whole exhibition a single pink conch pearl, nor the Strombus Gigas that makes it. This variety seems to have been totally omitted. I wonder why ? On the other hand, there were a good quantity of Melo pearls, and abalone pearls, among others.

There was a small but very beautiful green pearl from Pteria Penguin, the greenest thing I have ever seen ! Is it a classical color for pearls from this shell ?

I was impressed to be able to see historical pearls such as the FW necklace of Mary queen of Scots, or the pearl taken from king Charles Ist's ear after he was beheaded.
And it was good to see again the Pearl of Asia, the Hope pearl, the Mary Tudor pendant... not to forget Little Willie !

I think there is a thread in the "other section" where a few people have posted about going. Wish I were there! Sounds amazing!

"Other section" ?!?

Sorry, couldn't remember what it was called - the "Other Stuff" area may be where that thread was.......

Hi to all
I just had the answer to the question I was asking !
I got in touch with Hubert Bari, co-organizer of the exhibition, and he explained to me that it was too difficult to obtain the customs papers and authorizations for the CITES specimens of endangered species.
So they gave up for Strombus Gigas pearls, as well as Tridacna.
I confess that I was more sensitive to the missing pink pearls than to the Tridacna ones !
Anyway I am glad to understand what happened.

Back