Little Hole, Big Hole - What to do?

Cicadalady

So I'm finding that as with Thanksgiving dinner, in playing with pearls it's often the leftovers that are the most satisfying.

I had 12 leftover light peacock Tahitian circled drops and 1 lovely WSS baroque. I thought I'd do a tin cup with them, but then saw some posts with Tahitians and akoya keshi that were scrumptious. And I actually had some akoya keshi in my stash! The only problem was that the holes in the Tahitians are close to 1mm and the ones in the keshi are tiny and won't take regular-sized Beader's Secret or needles. I tried stringing them on fine soft touch wire with silicone bumpers as spacers and liked the look but ran short of the bumpers. Ordered some more, but they were back ordered. Pattye to the rescue! I ordered some fine Beader's Secret and fine needles and could back knot the keshi if great care was taken.

But what about the Tahitians? Knots slipped right into the holes. But now I had spacers, since I wasn't using wire! Very careful knotting with spacers guarding the holes did the trick!

So now I have a lovely light companion piece to my pale peacock strand!

IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2316.jpg
Thank you, lovely Beaders, for inspiration and resources!!! :)

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful!! I love seeing all of your creations.

I love how you pair necklaces Cicadalady! Lots of pearls, but still light airy look :) great job!

Congratulations on pulling it off! I love akoya keshi instead of chain. Looks great on you. :)

Oh, that's very sweet! Akoya keshi are on my wish list! Gotta get me some soon!!!

Wowza, that looks great! What a great solution.

I find, with weaving anyway, that I'm always my most creative when I have limited resources and have to figure out how to make it work.

Ack, I missed this thread yesterday...those two are lovely together! And I've used that "trick" to make the larger holes work better. I've never tried, but I wonder what it would look like to tie the knot over the silicone bead bumper...hmmm.

I tried tying the knot over the bumper and got unsightly silicone bulges :(. The fine thread didn't cover the bulk of the bumper.

Both necklaces look lovely on you, together and separate! The akoya keshi make a wonderful "chain" for the tin cup, and I love the alternating larger smaller pearls on the strand. What a creative use of leftovers.

Back