My first knotted bracelets

multichrome

I am obsessed with stringing pearls and other beads now! It’s so satisfying! I got Patricia’s kit, and after a couple of attempts I am improving. Such an elegant look compared to elastic or memory wire bead bracelets! I can’t wait to restring the little freshwater strand Mother gave me when I was in college.

The first is made with rescued potato pearls from a vintage Avon bracelet. I will redo it as the ending knots are better than the beginning ones. The second I did with lavender Bead Landing potato pearls that I had in my bead box. I used Beader’s Secret in the Stone color because I love the soft gray next to the lavender.

I really appreciate all the information here—the Beader’s Secret tutorial is so good. Also that is the best beading thread ever. Telling all my jewelry-making friends and artisan friends.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Cece

47F4C199-9DE8-44AA-8FD1-65AFFAE50E6E.jpg

BF513B59-7256-4427-BAE1-87BBB9BD2EBB.jpeg

6A0233AA-B308-4C70-BAD3-96A107351272.jpg

Isn't it just so satisfying to be able to do it yourself? :) It will get easier and easier as you do it more, and starting with bracelets is such a good idea.

You did great. You could probably restring the freshwater strand soon. It's so fun stringing, don't you think?

Thanks for your kind comments! I may restring the white strand today. I do find knotting fun and also kind of meditative.

I ordered more thread colors from Patricia that will be here today: sky blue for some aquamarine beads I’ve had a while, and lilac for an amethyst bracelet for my niece who loves amethysts. Can’t wait to see the colors in person!

:D

You did great. Confession. I've strung a lot of pearls, but I don't do it very often. It always takes me three tries on the same necklace before I'm happy with my stringing. Now, I just assume that it will take me 3 tries in a row, so I'm always happy if I get it right the first time.

Thank you! I’ve certainly had some do-overs after things have got hopelessly tangled. (One of my needles is completely mangled from an attempt to string pearls with very small holes—finer thread is on the way.) I’m also a knitter, and I have to remind myself that stringing is like knitting in that sometimes I just have to start over if I want a nice end result! I’m not a naturally patient person, so it’s good for me to remember that.

For those tiny holes you might want to try fine sized needles as well as fine sized thread.
You can also straighten your mangled needle by drawing it through nylon head pliers (Michael's sells them; they're cheap.)

Back