Learning About Pearls- What Do You Think About the Luster of These Potato Pearls?

Gemandpearlover

I have been buying inexpensive pearls as I learn about pearls. I bought this strand of potato pearls- 10 to 11mm. What would you say the quality of the luster and shape is? Don't worry- you won't hurt my feelings if they are not considered good quality. Thanks in advance. :)

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

It might just be the way the light is hitting them but some appear more lustrous than others. Some are eggier shaped than others, too. So, it's not a high quality strand, but if you like the way they look when you hold them up to your neck, that is what counts.

The problem I have with eggy shapes is that they don't always lie flat, and if some of the pearls rotate so that they are seen on end, they look smaller and rounder then their neighboring pearls.

It might just be the way the light is hitting them but some appear more lustrous than others. Some are eggier shaped than others, too. So, it's not a high quality strand, but if you like the way they look when you hold them up to your neck, that is what counts.

The problem I have with eggy shapes is that they don't always lie flat, and if some of the pearls rotate so that they are seen on end, they look smaller and rounder then their neighboring pearls.

Thank you Pearl Dreams! The luster is the same on all the pearls. I agree about the eggy shapes and wonder how these pearls will appear when I string them. They look nice on the neck, but there is the question on how they will look when they rotate that you mentioned and I had not considered. That is a good learning point.

So here is another question. If I want rounder shapes and do not want bead nucleated FW pearls, I just need to search out higher quality pearls- yes? The higher the quality the rounder the pearl? I know these sound like silly questions, but I have read some reviews on high priced FW pearls in which there are comments that the pearls aren't as round as the customer would like. Should a high quality round FW pearl strand have each pearl appear very round? Thanks!

Earring grade freshwater pearls, which are normally not drilled and strung into strands, are what vendors buy to make into strands or bracelets and list as their gem grade FWP.

My Freshadama strand bought in 2007 from PP looks round to me, but like you I have read posts by people who found their gem grade FWP were not quite round enough for them. Maybe it's best to ask for a few photos from the vendor and choose the one that you like best.

The luster looks very good on these and the size makes a statement! Roundness isn't as high a value for me as it is for others. Some pearls look "round to the eye" and that is enough for the owner.

The higher the quality the rounder the pearl?
Well, not necessarily. A baroque strand with outstanding luster could be higher quality than a round strand, with almost as good luster, but baroque being much less expensive, and more desirable in the eyes of the buyer. How the seller describes the strand, or grading standards can be different from seller to seller. Some sellers use generic pictures, so a buyer doesn't receive the exact strand in the photo.

I think those pearls are very pretty and will be such fun to experiment with! Fair disclosure: Roundness is never my first requirement in a pearl lol ...

Earring grade freshwater pearls, which are normally not drilled and strung into strands, are what vendors buy to make into strands or bracelets and list as their gem grade FWP.

I learn so much from you! Thank you for the explanation.

I was once at a trunk show, and I casually asked the vendor if they had "gem grade" pearls. They looked at me funny, like I was FBI or something, and then pulled a box from under the counter. I just wanted to see gem grade in person.

I agree with you about potato shapes not lying flat; I have a strand, but they are 5 mm, and appear round when worn.

Thanks CathyKeshi. I have two strands. One is 9.5 to 10.5 and the other 10.5 to 11.5. I am going to use them both to make a necklace with a gold ball clasp. When I look at them they whisper to me "pure nacre, pure nacre." Lol

The luster on your pearls is nice, Gemandpearlover. I think you will enjoy wearing your necklace.

I'm especially fond of the slightly flattened rounds sometimes called buttons or potatoes ... like you took a round pearl and gently flattened it ever so slightly ... they remind me of drifts of little flying saucers lol! Have fun with your pearls; in those sizes your necklaces should be lovely.

Back