Japanese Scientists Listen to Oysters, Pick Up Pearls of Wisdom

KAC

kailingual_1.jpg

Put a shell to your ear and you can hear the ocean. Japanese scientists have taken that concept to a higher level, inventing a device called the ?kai-lingual? (above) that can ?hear? oysters commenting on their environment. Well shucks!

Kai-lingual is a Japanese/English play on words, as ?kai? is Japanese for ?shell?. The device, invented by researchers at Kagawa University, uses sensors and magnets to monitor the way oysters open and close their shells in response to different environmental conditions. And wouldn't you know it, the oysters aren't exactly happy as clams.

?With kai-lingual, we can hear the 'screams,' like 'we are in pain because of insufficient oxygen,'? said Tsuneo Honjo, director of the Seto Inland Sea Regional Research Center at Kagawa University. Fair enough, but I'd probably be screaming the same thing if I was cemented to the seafloor.

Why bother trying to learn the language of oysters? Well, a happy oyster is a healthy oyster and healthy oysters are what aquaculture firms want in their oyster farms. Trouble is, all oysters are not alike: it seems pearl oysters are more, er, expressive than oysters farmed for food. Honjo's solution is to use kai-lingual to eavesdrop on a small number of pearl oysters interspersed among their more reticent relatives. In effect, the pearl oysters act as ?interpreters?.

?We have firmly established conversations with pearl oysters through years of research,? confirms Honjo, who seems to be sort of a Doctor Doolittle on the half-shell. ?They should translate into the reactions of the farmed oysters for us in this project. So far, oysters are talking in a healthy fashion.?

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japanese_scientists_listen_oysters_pick_pearls_wisdom

It's pretty amazing technology. I interviewed the person in charge of the program earlier this year at Mikimoto's lab. It will eventually reach video;) The Kai-lingual will actually notify the technicians on their cell phones when something goes awry.

This is very good news. I will let my friends know about it.
I hope it cost not so high and everybody can understand what "KAI" say.
Thank you for your good infomation!

So now we can ask them which pearl farmer they like most?

Will it be translated to english and put onto C.D with music?

The interview was in Japanese, so it will have subtitles. I'm still working on the French Polynesia one right now though - it's just about finished. I had to stop working on it for a while because of the holiday season.

I'm not sure how the Japanese video is going to turn out. We just didn't get as much footage there as I would have liked.

We arrived in Japan the day of the big earthquake and tsunami. We were flying from Manila and it happened while we were in the air. That was a surreal day ...

That's crazy Jeremy, I didn't know that. I'm guessing surreal is quite the understatement!

As for oysters communicating, most pearl technicians (with sufficient experience) will say that there is no doubt that oysters do communicate. There is the obvious communication (loss of body mass, tired adductor muscle, mantle sickness, etc) but there is undeniably a second kind of communication. When the technician is "in the flow" the oysters will reflect that and when you are not, that is reflected too. You can work right next another technician and have the same oysters but experience them in a totally different way.

I cut this one minute clip from the Gem Hunters I think it is right on point for this thread.

Last edited:
Now that's something we are interested in. Do you have any more info from that trip.

Thanks for the work you do in the industry. Your interviews are quite enjoyable and insightful.

I knew they talked and sang! Now, here is the proof!

What next? Perhaps an oyster beach walk?"O Oysters, come and walk with us!"
The Walrus did beseech.
"A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk,
Along the briny beach:
We cannot do with more than four,
To give a hand to each."

The eldest Oyster looked at him,
But never a word he said:
The eldest Oyster winked his eye,
And shook his heavy head--
Meaning to say he did not choose
To leave the oyster-bed.

But four young Oysters hurried up,
All eager for the treat:
Their coats were brushed, their faces washed,
Their shoes were clean and neat--
And this was odd, because, you know,
They hadn't any feet.

Four other Oysters followed them,
And yet another four;
And thick and fast they came at last,
And more, and more, and more--
All hopping through the frothy waves,
And scrambling to the shore.

~Lewis Carroll

I have been wanting to share this. Perhaps here is the right place.

This breathtakingly beautiful dance happened to be videotaped and danced in response to the earthquake in Japan. It is about the oyster's song.

It is one of the most stunning, moving pieces I have ever watched. Please be sure that Hisano sees this.

Kadinchey 'Thank You' by Pogo

Kadinchey 'Thank You' by Pogo

Oh, Caitlin, that was so beautiful. Shades of emotion and beauty performed with such restraint, like what I've come to understand of Japanese culture.

Can I please share, too, another. Here's Kadinchey ('Thank You') by Pogo. Nothing to do with pearls, I'm sorry, but the languid aural beauty of the Bhutanese is on display.

"Australian electronic artist Pogo (Nick Bertke) puts remix artists to shame whenever he resurfaces. In his latest seamless production, "Kadinchey," Pogo remixed an entire culture, listening for the musicality in the language and habits of the Bhutanese people."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/kadinchey-pogos-remix_n_1131222.html?ref=culture

Beautiful Caitlin, thank you.

What next? Perhaps an oyster beach walk?"O Oysters, come and walk with us!"
The Walrus did beseech.
"A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk,
Along the briny beach:
We cannot do with more than four,
To give a hand to each."

The eldest Oyster looked at him,
But never a word he said:
The eldest Oyster winked his eye,
And shook his heavy head--
Meaning to say he did not choose