Is this black sphere a pearl?

vroom

OK

Please take look at this "pearl" if that is what it is and tell me what I have here. It passes the tooth test. Under magnification it looks pretty much as it does to the eye alone.

Acquired some years ago I've never been certain, it is not drilled and has a dimple that should be vissable in the images. Not exactly a sphere, it measures 7.1 and 7.3 mm. I get 0.83 grams, 4.15 carats.

It does not transmit light at all, the inside of the dimple is black.

Any thoughts on this object are graciously appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 30
It looks like pearl to me, not sure if it's Tahitian... does it have overtone?

Yes sort of a iridescent purple blue. I'll try to image it this evening if I get a chance.

Meanwhile can a mod please fix my title sphere not spear - I suffer from weird brain.

thanks

Hmm, "iridescent purple blue" sounds like it just might be a dyed fresh water pearl. You might try to look at pictures from the on-line sellers of Tahitians to see if you've got that kind of overtone. And perhaps compare with shots of dyed FW.

- Karin

Looks like a Tahitian Pearl to me. A cultured Tahitian. Maybe some more photos with in from different angles might help. To me it looks like the real thing and not a dyed freshwater pearl. Had a few bad experiences with them so .... well I would be one of the first to say if it looked like a dyed fw. Chinese fw dyed are getting better and better but you have not bought a necklace, just one pearl and I think a SW Tahitian. Just my opinion but I will stand by it. Got that somewhat funky look many Tahitians have i.e. pimple

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Looks like a Tahitian Pearl to me. A cultured Tahitian. Maybe some more photos with in from different angles might help. To me it looks like the real thing and not a dyed freshwater pearl. Had a few bad experiences with them so .... well I would be one of the first to say if it looked like a dyed fw. Chinese fw dyed are getting better and better but you have not bought a necklace, just one pearl and I think a SW Tahitian. Just my opinion but I will stand by it. Got that somewhat funky look many Tahitians have i.e. pimple

Dawn - Bodecia

eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Ok and thank you

Pears 013Pears 013
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html

Except for the little dimple on it, everything else points towards it being a dyed FWP. However, the dimple weighs heavier tilting the scale towards it being a Tahitian...

So if this were ever drilled should the dimple be avoided?

Or should it never be drilled?

thanks

Back