Is Pearl Grading Comparable between American Pearl and Pearl Paradise?

glchen

I'm looking to purchase my wife a Tahitian pearl necklace for her 40th birthday especially since our honeymoon was in Bora Bora many years ago. I've been comparing necklaces between American Pearl (AP) and Pearl Paradise (PP) on the internet since they both seem reputable. (If they are not, let me know.) The questions that I have is whether the grades between the 2 are comparable? For example, if AP states that a strand is AAA, is that comparable to an AAA strand from PP? Or is PP more rigorous in their grading standards? Also, if either vendor states that the pearls are AA+ or AAA quality, are they really that high quality or is there grade inflation going on? Thanks in advance!

You might want to do a search on this forum on American Pearl and read the general opinion - after, of course, you decide that we are a decent bunch who can be trusted :D

As far as I understand each dealer of Tahitians have their own grading standard so the best thing to do is to compare their descriptions of the grading rather than the grades themselves.

I have bought from Pearl Paradise and received great service and the most beautiful pearls from Jeremy and Hisano.

Depending on your budget, Josh from Kamoka Pearls, http://kamokapearls.com/, offers pearls from his own, sustainable pearl farm. My husband gifted me with a strand of nearly round Kamoka pearls a couple of years ago.

- Karin

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen hanadama grade akoya strands from PP and AP, side by side. There was a huge difference in quality between the two companies. Since these should be the best of the best akoyas, it made me wonder how other item were graded. I buy at PP.

Last edited:
Back