IS IT GENUINE TAHITIAN PEARL? ANY THOUGHTS/IDEAS pic included

wiwiwi

Community member
is it genuine tahitian cultured pearl?

pearl size17.4 x 15.7mm in diameter
colour: silver with a hint of gray

they ask for us $ 480 for it. is it worthy it?

any ideas, appreciated.
thanks

Last edited:
I am thinking the same thing. I want to say, "If you have to ask, they probably aren't". that includes white Tahitians- a dicey product akin to keshi kasumi.

My guess, you struck out on all three.

Right. Once I catch a seller in one lie, we're done. Integrity is very important when buying expensive jewelry online.

Well, no one is more expert than Josh. What is the story on these white Tahitians, Josh? I know the kasumi are fakes, so I hope they aren't from the same seller.

Are these forums meant to ask questions or discuss with the experts? I m new to this web, not expert myself about pearls.
But I like pears, people learn by asking questions.
When you send in pears, you have to get some ideas about its genuinity.
Your thoughts were appreciated.

Well, no one is more expert than Josh. What is the story on these white Tahitians, Josh? I know the kasumi are fakes, so I hope they aren't from the same seller.

They are not from the same seller.

Easy, I think they are all freshwater.

Just saying 'easy' is not specific, is it?

From the look of pearls, What categarily distinguish the tahitian from the fresh water?
What characters about this pearl make you believe it's fresh water?

I am waiting for Josh to explain white Tahitians. They are rare so a matched pair would be even more rare. Why I think it is freshwater is the flatness of the luster. If those are Pinctada, they have a poor, flat luster, they just don't wow. The shape and the pitting are both more consistent with freshwater than Tahitian. Without knowing the seller and looking at other stuff of theirs I can't judge the reliability at all. I just don't think they look like anything but freshwaters, so I need to hear more from Josh on why he thinks they are genuine.

If they come from eBay, one needs to be very careful. You do not know what the pearls are, for sure, and want us to tell you what we think. This is what I think: Don't look for a bargain from eBay, but check out the biggest online sellers for equivalent pieces and buy from reliable venders. There are a few reliable venders on eBay but someone who doesn't know pearls is easily fooled by freshwaters. I know a lot of people who proudly wear freshwaters and claim they are Tahitians. I usually don't pop their bubble unless they ask.

What makes me decide? years of experience handling pearls of all types every day of the week for many years. It is how I earn my living.
Also...when a seller (es) lies so blatantly about some of their descriptions then all of their descriptions should not be believed.
I'll say again, you posted, you asked for our opinion, we give our opinion and immediately you dispute those opinions. Do you really simply want confirmation of your own opinions?

I am thinking we need to add a little bit more to the sticky, like if it is an ebay sale, who is the vendor. If you buy from Augustus pearls, Or Drusy design, I would know they are telling the truth, but their stuff is not cheap, compared to the phonies.
I see it is one pearl, not a pair, but if you have to ask, it is not a good deal. A decent white Tahitian or SS or whatever, should zap you with its luster and this one doesn't. It may as well be a freshwater- it is not an outstanding pearl. Below is a fw pendent.$219.00. 12mm and white gold.

%21B%29-NT-gEGk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21joEw5Tue%28BhBMP%2999K3TQ%7E%7E_35.JPG

Last edited:
Back