Inherited Pearls from (Great?) Grandmother

Thank you, KaySD, I really appreciate your kindness. It's a strange and sad moment for me right now. I just learned today that my very ill father probably only has a few days left, and I left work to travel down and see him. I'm typing this in his living room right now.

On the topic of pearls, thank you for the advice. I didn't realize Pearl Paradise restrings other pearls. They certainly have a beautiful website.

Welcome Greenjudy. Been where you are ... it took me several years to be able to go through my mother's cookbooks. Other things, no, but oh, those cookbooks for some reason ... I worked from a laptop by her bedside, and then my father's for a long time. Just wanted to lend you a bit of support. I'd take KaySD's advice and have your pearls restrung at Pearl Paradise, and ask for an opinion ... regardless, they are very precious to you, and lovely.

I'm sorry about your father!
I remember the last days of both my parents all too well. It's a tough time, watching them decline. Please take care of yourself.

CathyKeshi, Pearl Dreams, thank you so much for your words. It's a difficult time.

It sounds as if Pearl Paradise is worth contacting. The pearl world is honestly confusing to a newbie like myself, and recommendations like yours are truly helpful. Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.

If they are naturals, I was using the word "akoya" but thinking maybe Persian Gulf pearls.

Thank you BWeaves, that is an interesting idea. I wonder if people think it would be worth the $250 to ask GIA to examine them. Perhaps PP would be a better bet, first.

I'm in the painful "limbo" part of the process with my dad right now, and my concentration is not all that good. When things settle down I would like to consider all this further.

I lost my dad in 2014 and my mom last year, both after rough final years. With my mom, Hospice called me on a Monday to tell me she was "transitioning" and on Thursday she was gone. Just sit with your dad, hold his hand, and tell him what you need to say to him. Sending hugs your way.

I'm sorry for your loss and the difficult and sad time you are experiencing at the moment. I have to say that Kay is so right, now is the time to say everything that you'd like to say. It doesn't matter if he's awake or asleep. This is your chance to say a proper good bye. I live in Australia and my family is in America. Several years ago my mum became unwell and I got a phone call to say that I needed to get back 'now'. I flew back in record time..American Airlines was an enormous help bumping me onto planes so that I was able to get to her before she became unconscious . I was able to say goodbye..I am so thankful that I had half a day. It's so hard...and we do sympathise .

As for your pearls..they are very pretty. Am I right in figuring the size to be almost 8mm ?

KaySD, Katbran, thank you. I'm here with my siblings and stepmom, we've been... in a vigil, I guess. Not sure how much longer--tomorrow? Wed? We're doing our best to breathe and take care of one another.

KaySD, I'm really sorry for your loss, and having your parents pass so close together--that's really hard.
Katbran, thank you for your story, I'm so glad you got a chance to say goodbye.

Katbran, I don't have a mm ruler, but my sense is the largest pearls on the strand are about 8mm.

You folks are so lovely. Here I am, a perfect stranger with a string of pearls, and you've offered me so much support. Thank you.

Pearl people are the best and you are one of us now. You have gotten excellent advice already. So I'll just add please take care and post when you can.

Thank you, newberry. My dad passed away last night.

Thank you all for your kindness--this wasn't quite how I intended to become part of the forum. But I really appreciate the welcome. I will update you folks about my pearls when I have a little more mental room for things like that. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy learning more as I stick around. You are a wonderfully knowledgeable group, as well as friendly and kind. :)

Greenjudy, sending you Hugs ... we look forward to you coming back to "play pearls" with us whenever you are ready or just need a distraction or some company. You are no longer a perfect stranger here :)

I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.

This is a good place to come when you need a happy distraction.

greenjudy - Many condolences on the loss of your father. Stay strong and best wishes to you and the rest of your family at this difficult time.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, greenjudy.

((Hugs)) I'm really sorry for your loss GreenJudy. I hope you and your family stay safe during this difficult time.

Back