i'm so excited

TrulyViolet -- would love to see the picture of your masterpiece please!

My first attempt failed badly. I did not expect stringing pearls would be easy but it was like mission impossible to me. Since then, i had not tried again but would like to get back to it sometimes soon.
i'll post photos as i go...
i figure i am going to try something very short and cut it apart later most likely, when i actually hopefully know what i'm doing

Wow, that is a tight schedule! Glad you were able to figure out what to do.

When there are larger than normal drill holes (but not large enough for the heavier gauge Beader's Secret) or if only a few of the pearl have a larger hole, I make a surgeon's knot / jeweler's knot, where you pass the needle through the loop one extra time before tightening it. However I have to use tweezers when I do this, as the knot does not always slide into position perfectly.

PD- this is a good tip..there was a problem of slight differences in the drill holes..I ended up going back and redrilling all of them to the same size. The weight didn't help either with the slightly looser knots .. as you can see these were hefty in size. fullsizeoutput_9f1.jpg This is pre knotting just sorting out the length . ( I'm sure it's going to be upside down...sigh )

Hanadama - I have to make an effort to either take what I need to the table in the family room OR I need to clear a really big area on my desk as every time I move that darn thread is wrapped around some pliers or caught in the jaws of some wire cutters.... the table in the back room is best for me if there is a lot of length involved.

PD - that is a good solution and I did that on my final knotting .. just strung them up and lay them on a micro fibre cloth to keep them from rolling. .. then knot one pearl at a time. I also drop the pearls down through the loop .

Pearl Dreams -- first problem i ran into was the clasp hoop being too small for the french wire. Pattye (who has always been my great moral supports :) recommended to enlarge with an awl which I still have yet to try (I have heavy hands and extremly clumsy - I am afraid i would break it).

My second problem is the drill holes of the pearls are not the same (I purchased them at different batch), which I would love to know more about surgeon's knot you mentioned above!

Third problem is definitely due to lack of skills. I can never make knot close to the pearl, my knot is miles away every time. I had old tweezer that I thought could use but turn out to be useless as the tip of it does not even touch each other when I tried to hold thread with it :(

Though this first attempt was for the sake of practise and meant to just put them in a string rather than to leave them out as loose pearls but it was my mission impossible. At the end, I just string the rest up without knots and loop them all back making knots after making u-turn at clasp.

Here is the picture of the disaster;
IMG_3040.jpg

And this is the clasp, not sure of you can see from the picture. I use silver bead to prevent pearl rubbing against the clasp;
IMG_3042.jpg

And these are my other clasp options; i purchased them from esty and glued smal pearls on them
IMG_3044.jpg

Note that pictures are from indoor, yellow living room light. I had to do quick pictures before the cats see them and turn into their toys :)

What a lovely strand, Katbran! Heavy pearls are always a challenge. Sometimes I use 3 #30 threads, or even 2 doubled of #40. Depends on hole size. And I also drop the pearls down through the loop!! (I am being nagged to make a knotting video.) I use a large piece of suede cloth to work on.

Vi, WELCOME! You fit right in with the gang here! I hope you got your thread package by now. Just plunge right in!!
Lots of super mentors here with tips galore. (I'm still trying to catch up with all the new threads here after being gone a couple of weeks.)

Myizzkie, ah, there are your photos! Would the gimp fit the holes in the other clasps? They are very elegant with the pearls!

It is a big challenge when the holes aren't the same size. Did you practice just the knotting part first? There is a technique that a woman teaches that sounds just like what you finally did to finish the necklace, by doubling back and knotting after adding the clasp.

Vi, WELCOME! You fit right in with the gang here! I hope you got your thread package by now. Just plunge right in!!
Lots of super mentors here with tips galore. (I'm still trying to catch up with all the new threads here after being gone a couple of weeks.)
ty, i have to wait until we get to the post office to pick the mail up but i think tomorrow we can.
i'm so excited!

I think you will find it easier to knot with Beaders Secret as it's very slippery and the knot slides well . I don't use tweezers ..I use an awl( very sharp pointy metal tool) to slide the knot close. Then split the threads the pull tight. It's really just practice ... practice ..practice

Patty ..I'm going to order some of the bigger thread. I did end up using 3 strands of the regular Secret ..but wondered if two of the larger size might have worked.

Yes, using an awl to slide the knot close to the pearl before pulling the threads apart to tighten the knot is what I do, also.

You don't need it, the thread is slippery, but I figure that using the awl results in less friction on the thread as the knot slides-- and less friction is good.

trulyviolet -- hope you'll have a chance to pick up your package soon, cannot wait to see your pearls! Now this thread makes me feel like getting back for another attempt.

Pattye -- I have not tried with other clasps yet but from what I see, all should work as they are much bigger than the one used right now.

Pearl Dreams, Katbran -- i will probably need an awl as suggested, sounds like I could put it in good use for many things.

Thanks to all for sharing info and suggestion, and to Trulyviolet for starting this thread :)

I actually just use a pin for helping slide the knot closer to the pearl before I tighten the last bit by pulling the threads apart.

- Karin

trulyviolet -- hope you'll have a chance to pick up your package soon, cannot wait to see your pearls! Now this thread makes me feel like getting back for another attempt.

Pattye -- I have not tried with other clasps yet but from what I see, all should work as they are much bigger than the one used right now.

Pearl Dreams, Katbran -- i will probably need an awl as suggested, sounds like I could put it in good use for many things.

Thanks to all for sharing info and suggestion, and to Trulyviolet for starting this thread :)

dh got to the post office today,
i have to say..... pattye ships FAST and i love that she included a thread color chart, as well as packed everything so well.
anyway in a day or so i am going to attempt to knot some fake pearls! i don't have clasps but that's ok.... they can go on the christmas tree as always
i do need to get some clasps and a bead reamer i think before i actually attempt doing real pearls, and i have that on the list.
i think this is going to be part of my winter chase the blues away projects..... this and those earrings.

I recommend a battery powered bead reamer, not a hand operated one! I have the Beadmsith one and it works fine.

Submerge the pearl in water to ream it; the water acts as a lubricant, and you don't breathe in pearl dust.

I recommend a battery powered bead reamer, not a hand operated one! I have the Beadmsith one and it works fine.

Submerge the pearl in water to ream it; the water acts as a lubricant, and you don't breathe in pearl dust.

i was looking at reamers and i did see the battery operated one....ok that's the one i'll get
thank you so much

How exciting! Let us know how you go! Also if you don't have clasps, you could always string an endless strand - Pearl Dreams has provided excellent instructions in her stringing tutorial thread.

Back