If you could do it over again - what would your very first pearl purchase be?

My best pearl purchase so far was second hand so keep an eye out and you may find something wonderful. When you do, please come back with photos!

Thank you, Sarah! The CC strand I purchased was also pre-owned, and I can't wait for it to get here.

By the way, just a quick update - the CC pearls came yesterday, and they are even more beautiful in person than I ever could have hoped. Sometimes you just get lucky with preowned, don't you?

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

If I could do it again, I don't know that I'd change much with my purchases. My first "higher-end" (it was higher end to me at the time, but really isn't now that I know more about what's out there) pearl purchase was kind of a bust - I loved it at first, but on closer inspection realized that I really hate character pearls. BUT, that led me to take the necklace apart and use the nice pearls to make a long sterling and pearl tin cup that I really love, plus it led me to start buying and stringing my own loose pearls. So, that's a good thing!

Look at that luster! Wow! Bet you'll be wearing these often! Did you receive earrings also?

I'm actually wearing them all the time, even under scarves! Unfortunately, the person who was selling these didn't have matching earrings, but I will probably be eventually contacting Catherine to see if I can get something made.

Oh, and today just happens to be my birthday, and it's turning into a very "pearly" birthday!!! My mom got me some very pretty dangle earrings, and my fiance ordered another CC strand that has yet to arrive. I sent him a bunch of options that I loved, and let him decide - that way it's still kind of a surprise. :)

Happy birthday from another October baby as well! And those are beautiful pearls!

Thank you Anne21! October seems to be one of the busiest birthday months among my friends and family, so plenty of festivities this time of year! Hope you had/will have a wonderful birthday as well.

Here it is, October again! and I'm wondering if you guys have a particular site, or favorite, where you look for pre-owned pearls?

I would start out buying the best quality I could and wearing them either as a single bead, or if you can purchase several, as a tin cup style. I think a tin cup is a fresh, modern take on the "first" strand (the Eva Marie Saint photo above) that can be worn dressed up or dressed down.

The pearls you purchased are lovely!

Ruby Lane has lots of vintage jewelry including pearls; that said, there are still fraudulent and misleading listings, so caveat emptor, as always. The shops are individually owned. I occasionally look around there, but haven't purchased anything.

Last edited:
I search through diamondbistro.com regularly. They have a few dozen pearl items for sale (I just listed a few myself for the first time). There are pieces from PP, CC, Kojima and Mikimoto -- but generally very few offerings.

Thank you everyone! I wondered, because on PS I thought I saw enough references to pre-owned pearls that made me think there must be some place in particular.

PS has a "PriceScope Cafe" with a drop down including "PS Preloved Jewels". PSers post the links to the jewelry they are selling. They tend to use diamondbistro or loupetroop -- but there aren't that many pearl listings.

Aha. Thank you BAS :). I haven't explored much over there, so your answer is a great shortcut. I went to the bistro and signed up, and it seems that some things fly out of there. Good luck w your sales!

I've been thinking about this original question a bit lately ... I find that as time goes by I am narrowing down my 'wants' . I have a bucket full of things that I don't wear and should look at selling on .. but if I were to start over knowing what I know now ..I'd save my money and one at a time I'd get..

1. Very best quality 16mm + SS pendant
2. Very best quality 16+mm Tahitian pendant - One blue based and one green peacock.
3. Earrings for the above . Studs at 11mm+ and Diamond Huggies with nice fat drops
4 Big 10mm (is that even on offer ever ??? lol ) round metallic whites + earrings
5. Fabulous Harvest strand - all Tahitians
6. Fabulous Harvest strand - Mixed SS W&G + some Tahitians.

I think that would do it. :)

Last edited:
Back