I need clasp recommendations.

BWeaves

I'm going to inherit my Mom's Mikimoto necklace someday. My sister is a slob and doesn't take very good care of her jewelry, but I know she likes the necklace, too. I thought it would be nice to replicate the necklace, only with more inexpensive gems, so my sister can have her own version. Mom wants to do this as cheaply as possible since she just shelled out a boatload of money for refurbishing my sister's house.

Here's the original necklace. It's a double strand of Mikimoto 6-6.5 mm AA pearls. 26" and 25" strands. The backside of the gold Mikimoto label has the serial number and the 6-6.5 AA markings. The double strand clasp is not Mikimoto (but I have both the original Mikimoto single strand clasps). The clasp is 14K yellow gold flat oval with 2 rows of tiny diamonds on the diagonal. With the gimp on each end it's about 1 inch long.

IMG_1116.jpg

I think it should be easy to find some nice round freshies. I sent an e-mail to PP. The part I'd like everyone's help with is finding a similar looking gold filled clasp with cubic zirconia or some other inexpensive white gemstone.

Me neither! I looked and looked, too. I even looked for a 14K 2-strand clasp with CZs that had a similar design.

This one isn't oval and I do not know the cost, but PP could perhaps get it for you if the price is right and you like it:
http://www.stuller.com/products/2116/?groupId=12300
It's 14K and round and doesn't have CZs but the way the white gold part is cut, it looks somewhat like stones. And it seems to have a similar vibe to the oval clasp IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll run them by my mom and see what she thinks.

The fact that you need a 2 strand / 2 row clasp limits the options, it seems.

The funny part is, I don't even like Mom's clasp. I know they're diamonds, but there's absolutely no sparkle to them. They could be wood chips, which is a shame, because the pearls are amazing in real life. The photo does not do them justice.

If it were up to me, I'd restring the Mikis with a Miki clasp, if I can get a double, and use Mom's clasp on my sister's strand.

Or, buy two identical clasps and save one to replace Mom's the next time it needs stringing, or after you inherit. Then they would eventually match. :) Beautiful necklace!

Since you don't like the clasp, why not give that to your sister with other pearls. You'll have the original Miki clasp and pearls to do as you please. The original Miki clasp may not be as flashy, but it means more to you than her. Be sure she's ok with this because you don't want to cause any ill feelings.

The original Miki clasps are singles, so I'd need to see if I could buy a double.

I thought about restringing the new pearls with Mom's clasp, but Mom doesn't want to do that while she still owns them, so it would have to wait until after I inherited them. At that point, I'd have to check with my sister and see what she wanted.

Mom had her pacemaker dialed up today, so she's off and running like a little energizer bunny again.

I just got a visual of your mom sprinting away from you and laughing. Glad she's feeling well :)

Back