Hunt for Circled Tahitians

pregcurious

I am new to the world of colored pearls, so please bear with me. :eek: I am an experienced colored gemstone buyer from PS, but I know very little about pearls. I have read the education topics here, and I have been lurking on the Pearl forum on PS for a few months.

I am on the hunt for my first serious pearl purchase. I looked around at Pearl Paradise, American Pearl, Tahitianpearls.biz, American Pearl, Pearl Source...you get the idea. PP had the largest selection of Tahitians, so I contacted them for circled Tahitians with strong bands of pink, blue and green (peacock colors) on a darker body. (I also have previous white pearl purchases from PP, and everything has been lovely.)

They currently don't have anything in stock with the strong overtones I prefer, so I am now looking at ovals (have increased budget accordingly). I found the overtones very hard to judge on pictures. Hisano kindly sent me 3 pictures so far, all comparing 1 candidate strand with others, but it is not peacock enough for me. I scheduled an appointment in person at the end of March (I am flying in from the East Coast).

Is there any advice you can give me? How hard it is to find something like this? :p I feel like I should wait for the "right" strand. I have patience for colored gemstones (CS)...do I need the same for pearls? My guess is that the answer is yes. :( Thanks for reading.

Hello and welcome to PG! :)

Just like CS, colour is very personal when it comes to pearls, and I am glad that you can visit PP in person to be able to see for yourself the many different colours and shapes of Tahitians, as you may find colours that you have not considered as suitable before appealing in real life.

If you are not in a hurry, it is definitely worth the wait for the right strand to come along.

Good luck with your search, and have fun with pearls - they can be quite additive too, just like CS!

DK :)

Hi there ! Welcome ! I would suggest you take the time between now and then to look at as many Tahitians as you can in stores and get a feel for the colours and sizes. Try some on and see what suits your skin tone. You might find yourself less overwhelmed when faced with a vault full of every shape size and colour . Jeremy and staff will definitely educate you !

Welcome, I would highly recommend reading and looking at posted pictures from the PS forum: Thread "PP Tahitian Pearls on Sale" , August 5, 2014. It is quite a large thread but has many examples of glamor photos along with natural light photos and neck shots from pearl girls who made purchases from the sale. Also, just search the PG forum and PS forum on "Tahitian Pearls" if you haven't already.

Two suggestions:
1. Don't stress. You will know "your pearls" when you see them.
2. Leave your snow boots at home :)

Welcome, I would highly recommend reading and looking at posted pictures from the PS forum: Thread "PP Tahitian Pearls on Sale" , August 5, 2014. It is quite a large thread but has many examples of glamor photos along with natural light photos and neck shots from pearl girls who made purchases from the sale. Also, just search the PG forum and PS forum on "Tahitian Pearls" if you haven't already.
Thanks, Frost Me. I am going over there now.

Thanks, dkan168 and Katbran.

Marianne, I had my rubber duck Sorel boots out today :p

Welcome! Definitely look around if you can to see what the stores near you have but I would wait for the trip to PP. I've never been there but I can only imagine how wonderful it is!

Katbran - I live is SC and yes we had a huge ice storm - no power yet!

Welcome! Definitely look around if you can to see what the stores near you have but I would wait for the trip to PP. I've never been there but I can only imagine how wonderful it is!

Katbran - I live is SC and yes we had a huge ice storm - no power yet!
\
Oh, no- hope you get your power back before the arctic express hits tonight! I'm in NC and ice has shut everything down here for a second day, but at least I have power!!

Pkinnew, if the electric doesn't come back on before dark, just line up all your pearls and the glow should light your way :) Seriously though, I hope you get your power back soon ... stay safe everyone! The sun's back on for a while today in PA; a welcome change from GREY.

Well, it's become the hunt for near-rounds. I can't tell if I am doing the right thing yet. I guess I'll know when I go in person.

I'm trying to buy a few things I will love instead of buying a bunch of little things. I have white pearls, and don't like them or wear them. I wear a lot of black and grey and think I will like Tahitians. I hope I wear these. I feel a little lost.

Strong overtones in Tahitians are sometimes harder to find, but worth the extra time.
The colors from the Tahitian shell can be so amazing!

Not sure what your budget is, but I found two strands that matched your description after a quick web search at some pearl sites:

http://www.tahitipearlmarket.com/co...an-pearl-strand-gold-plated-clasp-necaun02246

or

http://www.tahitipearlmarket.com/co.../tahitian-pearl-strand-gold-clasp-necaun02249

The colors are stronger on the first but the quality of the pearls is higher on the second link.

The search for the right pearl(s) is such a fun part of it.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Well, it's become the hunt for near-rounds. I can't tell if I am doing the right thing yet. I guess I'll know when I go in person.

I'm trying to buy a few things I will love instead of buying a bunch of little things. I have white pearls, and don't like them or wear them. I wear a lot of black and grey and think I will like Tahitians. I hope I wear these. I feel a little lost.

That's how I felt when I ventured into CS as there is so many different types and colours out there!

I would suggest you wait until your trip to PP before purchasing any higher value items, while continue with browsing for different types of pearls on the net for inspiration.

It is a shame that you are not keen on white pearls, as they too will go very well with black and grey.

Hang in there, as it is not long before your trip to PP, and it will be like a kid in a sweet shop for certain.

DK :)

pregcurious, I found I just could not choose my first Tahitian pearls online ... it was all very overwhelming, and I had no idea of true colors, or what would look good on my skin ... I am very happy I waited for my visit to PP, as I ended up selecting the farthest thing from what I originally thought I wanted. You'll be able to see pearls in person in March; and will be amazed! It's well worth taking your time :)

Looking in person and online is a great appetizer for your in-person visit to PP in a few weeks. You'll get a feel for prices and what you think appeals to you. PP will have every type of Tahitian imaginable for you to choose from in person. You will be in heaven. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience, and seeing your photos!

Can anyone recommend brick & mortar stores for browsing Tahitians? I live in southern MD and can travel to DC and northern VA. There is a Tiffanys nearby, but no Mikimoto. I want to see the different colors on my skin tone.

Thank you, Jacques. Both strands are really exceptional in their overtones.

Thanks, DK. I am so comfortable with CS that it makes me aware of how little I know of pearls. I just learned about the difference between overtone and orient! Regarding CS collecting, I found all my holy grail items, except for one and I am tired of searching. Gold is also too expensive and I have set not a single CS over 7 years of collecting. Hobby over.

Thanks, Cathykeshi, BAS and JerseyPearl.

Thanks again, Frost me. I just read the entire thread, and I see what you mean about how the pearls change under different lighting. I and also went through the entire Show Me Your Pearls thread.

NoVA Neimans out at Tyson's usually has a wonderful display of Tahitian pearls, which I believe are from Bel Pearl. They occasionally have trunk shows. The store at Mazza has a smaller, but well stocked, jewelry counter. I have always found the sales associates at Neimans to be wonderful. Saks just up a block on Wisconsin has a great fine jewelry department as well.

Back