How old is this pearl ? Play again !

So, you worked a lot !
And the answer is : 2 clasps for closing antique religious books.
Middle ages focused on jewels for religious production.
Thenafter the use became more frequent to wear those specific clasps on coats and as belts, both for men on hats or shoulder to close coats and women as a brooch on breast ;

you were just a bit in advance in guessing what for ;)

About influences, thanks for highlighting that Francks and europeans people were fascinated by the orient opulence, and the crusads gave the taste for such.

About glass, again the precious stones were not that much sought after and glass even appears on royal crowns as we saw, from Egyptian period to Wisigoth (even after WWII the glass stones were much prized and not used instead of gemstones but in a spirit of " industry better that nature":eek:).

Congratulations about the period and the place !!!

So the first clasp is a reliquary clasp from Bohemia (actual part of Czech Republic, central Europe) , XIV century, silver gold plated, enameled, engraved, pearls and stones, the legend does not tell wich stones: you worked a lot for no response :eek:

The second photo is a clasp as well, the legend does not tell where from :D , more ancient XIII century, silver gold plated with garnets, sapphires and pearls

The crowns and clasps photos were taken in Middle Age Paris Museum, Cluny , were the Lady with Unicorn tapestry is exhibited, do not miss this fantastic tapestry (sorry bad picture).
Do you see her double strand necklace ? style still in use nowadays .
Though there are very few jewels left, we can enjoy what ladies wore on that type of ancient work of art.

Do we enter the Unicorn in "your favourite pet" thread ? ;)

Attachments

• pearl-story24.jpg
    pearl-story24.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
That tapestry reminds me of that Tracy Chevalier (Or how you spell it.) book about those tapestries, I enjoyed reading it. Just shame about the sad ending.

Hello again : today's special, Do you like it?
When Where, What (give up for why :p)
play again ! :cool:

Attachments

• pearl-story25.jpg
    pearl-story25.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 49
Yes - I was thinking the same thing.

Okie doke - :)
I guess if I just keep repeating Venice - ahhhh - close - but no! The cameo is probably from the Naples area? But, could be French - Louis xiii - i'm guessing :0

The Goddess Diana involved - the stag - the hounds - the cameo looks to be depicting a water scene (???)

Now to begin my Diananese hunt for when!!!

It is a 'Rococo' style, !8th century France.

The central image is not very clear. So, I'm just playing a bit.......
If the 'animal' is a bull then it is the story of Europa's abduction by Zeus.
If it is a horse, it might be Poseidon seducing his sister Demeter while disguised as a horse, the fish tail must be a Siren. :confused:

Geekers...
Well - I found a FABULOUS picture but don't know how to find a URL :((( - I'd love to share it...

Back to our search....

Here I go again; it seems that Lorenzo the Magnificent (Medici) had a cameo habit...and in France Coldore was the hot topic.

Off for more....

Nereid sea nymphs rode the Hippokampoi - fore-parts horse and serpentile tail of a fish.

This image may be of the nymph Thetis. Just a guess -

Francescaandtim

I hope this comes through - it is a pendant caravel italian late 16th century - I just thought it was so wonderful....

Found it while STILL SEARCHING for information on the QUIZ!!!!!!

Since I don't have much luck with attaching a picture I used it as my Avatar - the detail is amazing which of course you cannot see :(

picture.php

Last edited:
Close view of central part (sorry bad picture) just for the fun : the pearl is not there:D

and in France Coldore was the hot topic.

Good idea it should have been this engraver, but it is not ..

The cameo is probably from the Naples area?

Interesting, but not yet found, play again :cool:
You avatar caravel is very interesting, I shall show you some more later on

It is a 'Rococo' style, 18th century France.
More ancient ...play again ;)

Attachments

• pearl-story26.jpg
    pearl-story26.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Francesca - I want to see more - it looks so beautiful!

I've been hunting on Google images - the jewelry is unbelievable!!!!!

Ma dame CliClasp :) La chasse continue!!!!

The reclining figures remind me of the statues of "Dawn" and "Dusk" by Michelangelo in Florence ? ? ?

Hint? Is the cameo from a shell or something else???

Cameos were reclaimed from the excavations of Herculaneum and Pompeii after the Big One in 79 AD."...amazing cameos were found, most of them adorned with designs representing...,as well as mythological themes.

Cameos can be carved from onyx, agate, sardonyx and chalcedony - Sardonica shells are a chocolate-colored conch from Sardonica/Sardinia (which are becoming scarce).

Cameos were reclaimed from the excavations of Herculaneum and Pompeii after the Big One in 79

Congratulations
Yes it is one from antique roman period that was reset at the XVI century with a baroque pearl that become popular at that period.
Roman invented the cameo from multi layered stones or shell as you pointed out.

So this one is signed Sostratos

But who was Sostratos?? :cool:

Anna

My goodness! don't stop this thread, add to it till you can do no more. This thread is my favorite for pearl education given in such a fun way.

Sostratos of Cnidus was a Greek architect, an envoy and held the title 'friend" in the Ptolemian/Alexandrian court.

He designed and built the lighthouse on Pharos and, he dabbled :) in "...Augustan glyptic art, for instance a sardonyx cameo cut by Sostratos in the 1st century B.C...in Naples.

I love this too, Caitlin - we are not alone.

Anna, may we please have more pictures as a reward, Nerida and I would love that - and, you promised!!!!

Thank you for so much fun - more, please...Francesca

Back