How old is this pearl ? Play again !

It looks like Transvaal Jade, which is a form of Grossular Garnet. Of course, since that is off the top of my head, I could be wrong about the Transvaal Jade, but there is a kind of grossular green garnet that looks like jade.

You are an excellent motivator - teacher!!!!

Chrysoprase which was used in Egypt, Greece and Rome and

The clasp is phenomenal - like locust wings - hmmmm.

Hello PG pearl secret hunters, glad you enjoy it ... and we are only in antique history, 20 centuries to come

what an imagination !

Here an enlargement of photo detail, see the delicate gold and stones skilled work.

To help you to find where it was found, here is the story of the city :
A woman icon belonging to world' history was burnt there by ennemy while her country let her down ... so you see !
but she did not wear the necklace, just found in same town ,

Let's go hunting ?

Attachments

• pearl-story13.jpg
    pearl-story13.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 49
Are you referring to Jeanne d'Arc who was burned at the stake on May 30, 1431 in Rouen?

That's the only reference I can find.

But, I did find a pair of earrings and a necklace that was remarkably similar but they were Roman 100 BC...emeralds and pearls 18K

Last edited:
I agree with pearlgully. Sounds like Joan of Arc.

So the necklace comes from France in the 1400s? Oh I see you said it was most ancient. Was Rouen ever Roman or did a noble from Charlemange's (sp?) time have it made or imported? ( I hear they used and adopted many Roman artifacts.) Or did one of the savage looters even earlier make off with it?

Last edited:
Out on my limb :0
It was made in Jerusalem or thereabouts. Found in Rouen either as loot from the Crusades or confiscated from the Jews who were expelled from Rouen in the 14th Century.

Possibly Chrysoprase or emerald and 18K gold and pearls. BTW Chrysoprase was a mineral that if held in the mouth could make you invisible - which could be useful to moi if I'm completely off base...

Francesca

Just in case, Rouen was founded by the Gauls, however, the Romans were there and their stay and at it's height built Rouen with an amphitheatre and thermal baths - the fountains still remain.

Which means it could still be Roman - oh my ....ciao

Francesca

Congratulations, and thanks for your contribution :
- it was found in Rouen where Jeanne d'Arc was burnt in XV century
- it is emeralds, pearls and gold
- as old as of middle of III century AD (the Roman were there)

Don't miss visiting Rouen one day (only 180 km from Paris) a beautiful old place to see (cathedral, house of court and so).

That's what Cailin tells us in Pearl 's history, in addition of what Francesca said :

The Romans apparently acquired their taste for pearls from the Greeks, and for some centuries probably rivaled or overtook India as the world's biggest pearl depository.

There was such competition for pearls in Rome that laws were made that only the elite could wear them. Statues of the goddesses - especially Venus - wore only the very best, largest, and most perfectly matched pearl earrings, in their marble pierced ears. Mortals got to fight over the rest. Large, perfectly matched pairs of pearls were wildly popular and worth far more than singletons.

Pearls in Roman History

In ancient Rome, pearls were a highly prized accessory, and worn as a symbol of wealth and prestige. They were such a status symbol, that an effort was actually made to prohibit the wearing of pearls by those not deserving of them.

This ends temporarily the antique period, lets jump in time ? next ;)

Attachments

• pearl-story14.jpg
    pearl-story14.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
Ready for a jump in time ?

See how the influence of previous period of time still inspired the artist... (sorry bad picture but interesting I hope)

so where does this earring come from and how old it is?
which stones are set in addition of the pearls?

Enjoy

All previous photos up to now taken in Le Louvre in Paris

Attachments

• pearl-story15.jpg
    pearl-story15.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 46
Just what I think too, but I am far too lazy to do several checks, sorry... it is so nice to read the summit later on...

Glad you like to read the answer even if you don't feel like searching

Well, put a byzantine jewelry just at end of roman period, :rolleyes: would have been too easy ; so search again :D

Let's our american, australian, canadian, mexican friends who are still sleeping search a little too.

it is just a little western than Byzance

Celtic? 7th century and on? ;)

( Byzantine period goes from the 5th to the 18th century A.D.........)

I'm already thinking Persian or India - but that's a wild guess.

I saw on the travel channel that the best "bang" for American tourist travelers is choosing the other fabulous and interesting destinations besides Paris.

Rouen was mentioned!!! How timely!

I am putting on my hunting gear again - in my searches I have found so many beautiful things and tid bits of knowledge - thank you for this EXCELLENT GAME!!!!

Merci, Merci, Merci, Francesca

Hmmm...this one is not easy. Not to many features that define it as "Celtic", "Roman", "Greek"...seems much more modern. I would say it is Austrian-German, Empire of Charlemagne era... noticed that the main stone is faceted (seems to me, at least). Highly simmetrical form.
But I am just wild guessing...

So this one is :
- earring from Lombard art,
- VII century
- Gold, pearls, enamel and glass, sorry no stones
- from Campana collection as well (see Francesca 's comment above)

About Lombard, from Wikipedia:

The Kingdom of the Lombards Italy was an early medieval state on the north of Italian Peninsula. Formed by the invading german and scandinavian peoples in 568, it came under Frankish domination in 774 and its Lombard character gradually evaporated and it became the Kingdom of Italy.

Sure it shows Byzantin accents, you already pointed out how a style can be widespread,
there were already importation at Suse at II millenium BC !
Though the Lombards did not envaded Ravenne nearby, where mosaic with byzantin emperor and Theodora famous empress (she loved pearls, see pict.) can be shown in Basilique San Vitale de Ravenne.

You're right Douglas and nlerner: these people should have also brought their own style and pattern from northern countries mixed with local ones.

Who influenced who ?
Any additional comment welcome!

Attachments

• pearl-story16.jpg
    pearl-story16.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Thedora_San_Vitale_in_Ravenna.jpg
    Thedora_San_Vitale_in_Ravenna.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 45
So, do you see the pearls?
Which one do you prefer ?