How old is this pearl ? Play again !

And the winners are.... Nlerner, Marc :)
Is is Art Nouveau by Lalique 1898, a woman 's head with snake, peacock wing, face in chalky material, enamel and natural pearl.

Art nouveau was time of intense artistic activities all over Europe and USA, artists were fed up of neo-classicism.
From 1895 to 1914-20 or about was the time of Art nouveau.

Nevertheless, it was also time for reintrepretation of ancien patterns and old forgotten techniques but in a new way, and investigation of new material such as horn, tortoishell, new enameling techniques (plique a jour), glass, inspiration from the past and the very far (Japan).
A new cooperation between art and industry

About Gorgona, Benvenuto Cellini, the famous italian artist (Persee and the Gorgona) used to say : "nature is the only book we have to learn from ", while Art nouveau artist Hector Guimard (he built Paris underground stations, don't miss it when you come) said :"it's always fom nature that we have to take advises from" (free translation:D)

The end of this period was of course the beginning of the cultivated pearls industry.

so, do you remember what I was saying page 7

So this pendant was .......
an enameld gold setting on a cameo, with a baroque pearl on the bottom, this setting will inspire artists some centuries later ... keep on checking, coming soon...

About the initial question "What does this pendant make you think of what we saw before" ; your answer is :confused::confused::confused:

play again:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa! Just read all the posts and I am still dizzy...what a frantic historical search! Love this whirlwind of pearls, times and places...
What does the last piece say to us...I guess it is: Nature is the original place for Inspiration...

Actually, this beautiful pendant made me think of a painting I once saw. It was made by a Mexican artist whose name I cannot recall. I think the painting's name was "La Patria" (Our Country) and it was a beautiful woman that was in the middle of the fight of the Brown Eagle and the Snake (part of Mexico's Seal)...something to do with the eternal struggle between good and evil, the girl was -as expected- the "Motherland" (Mexico). Very simple idea...but I guess people (of different times and places) have found it strikes a chord.

Please Ana, do continue "the Game"...I enjoy it very much!

Attachments

• codice Duran.jpg
    codice Duran.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24
This isn't the answer to your question, but it makes me think of this piece from the Met in NYC. Not the same period at all, and complicated by the fact that this cup is actually a documented fake of an earlier time period and artist. It remains in the museum as such, but now credited correctly. I love the tiny pearl earrings.

Attachments

• Rospigliosi cup.jpg
    Rospigliosi cup.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 30
  • fall_2002_Fig_07.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=500&hei=391&rgn=0,0,1,1&lng=en_US&cvt=jpeg.jpg
    fall_2002_Fig_07.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=500&hei=391&rgn=0,0,1,1&lng=en_US&cvt=jpeg.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 25
  • cupcu.jpg
    cupcu.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 22
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 28
It was made by a Mexican artist whose name I cannot recall.

Beautiful painting, Douglas. Surely this Mexican artist, spent some time in Italy, and saw the 4th century mosaics in Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.

abeangel.jpg

You can see the spiritual/stylish influence in the frontal position of the characters, the position of their legs, clothing and surroundings.

Mexico's greatest artist, Diego Rivera, spent years in Italy closely observing the art of Giotto and his colleagues.

So, what a tremendous activity here for sharing paintings and pearls in history!
Yes there are a lot to see in the Met in NYC and Washington, as well as in so many other places !
Thanks for posting such interested pictures, we all enjoy it!

So the last lady with pearl and snake from 1898 Lalique Art nouveau I posted was referring to artists' inspiration from the Renaissance jewels such as the following we saw page 7 and following...

Attachments

• pearl-story25.jpg
    pearl-story25.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 23
  • pearl-story33.jpg
    pearl-story33.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 24
  • pearl-story48.jpg
    pearl-story48.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 23
Let's stick for a while in such a brilliant period Art nouveau was.
Today's game is :
Here are 2 lovely rings, but what 's the third jewel about?

Attachments

• pearl-story49.jpg
    pearl-story49.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 31
  • pearl-story50.jpg
    pearl-story50.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 21
  • pearl-story51.jpg
    pearl-story51.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
I must admit I like the Renaissance cameo better :)

The third a bracelet orrrrrrr a hair ornament to pop a bun through?

Wow I LOVE those rings! The one with the ginkgo leaf in enamel is amazing. And the other has a unique shape and quite protects the pearl-----perhaps this style could be adapted for an engagement ring??

I love the first ring. I would never stop looking at my hand. I have to go with a hair ornament on the 3rd item, but I would love to see it around someone's neck or shirt collar. It's hard to tell the size - it could also be a ring.

......... I have to go with a hair ornament on the 3rd item, but I would love to see it around someone's neck or shirt collar. It's hard to tell the size .........

And the winner is : Sheryl ! congratulations.

It is a 1900 dog collar,
The 3 jewels are Rene Lalique 1900, 1904, gold, enameled plique a jour technique and natural pearls.
I agree with you both rings have a fantastic design ;).
It can be seen at the gallery of decorative arts close to Le Louvre in Paris, Lalique's masterpieces are also exhibited at Calixte Gulbenkian museum in Lisbon.

The plique a jour enamel is a very special technique :

Plique-?-jour, French for "braid letting in daylight" where the enamel is applied in cells, similar to champlev?, but with no backing, so light can shine through the transparent or translucent enamel. It has a stained-glass like appearance.

Schlumberger the famous Tiffany designer was very found of that technique, see page 18 and following.
http://www.tiffany.cn/catalogues/Bluebook_05-06.pdf

Looking for more pearls from Art nouveau period ?
So today's game is : which one get a pearl, which one get a mother of pearl :rolleyes:
(not always good pictures but interesting pieces, I hope so)

Play again :)

Attachments

• pearl-story54.jpg
    pearl-story54.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 26
  • pearl-story53.jpg
    pearl-story53.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35
  • pearl-story52.jpg
    pearl-story52.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 22
I'm sorry to say that the quality of these pictures and the one of the dog collar above are such that, at least on my monitor, I just can't see enough detail to tell very much about them. They are too blurry and the contrast seems to be too high.

Marc

Squinting and surmising based on the forms, alone: 1 --> MOP 2 --> pearl 3 --> pearl. The 3rd in particular looks like it may have some nice color. Any chance for crisper photos of these?

I wish I could have the windows opened for me, but it was not possible,
so sometimes the quality is not there :(
Anyway, I tought the pieces were interesting enough to be shown,

Sorry, it was really hard to find

1 - fresh water pearl, silver, gold, diamonds, enamel, iris flowers brooch by Georges Fouquet, 1905
2 - nacre, enamel, gold, pendant by Edouard Colonna, 1900
3 - nacre, silver gold plated, enamel, belt buckle by Edouard Colonna, 1900

Oh those beautiful Art nouveau swirling shapes !! :)

Today' special,
Here are 3 pictures of pearls, in your opinion which one (or ones) does (or do) not belong to the XX century ? :confused:
And the one (or ones) that belong to the XX century, in your opinion are they in Art Nouveau style?

Any relative information on those pearls is welcome
play again :)

Attachments

• pearl-story55.jpg
    pearl-story55.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 36
  • pearl-story56.jpg
    pearl-story56.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 31
  • pearl-story60.jpg
    pearl-story60.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 21
I wish I could have the windows opened for me, but it was not possible,
so sometimes the quality is not there :(
Anyway, I tought the pieces were interesting enough to be shown,

Sorry, it was really hard to find

1 - fresh water pearl, silver, gold, diamonds, enamel, iris flowers brooch by Georges Fouquet, 1905
2 - nacre, enamel, gold, pendant by Edouard Colonna, 1900
3 - nacre, silver gold plated, enamel, belt buckle by Edouard Colonna, 1900

Oh those beautiful Art nouveau swirling shapes !! :)

Really beautiful shapes, indeed! In my squinting, the FWP in the brooch looked like the metal work and I assumed MOP or something in the background of the piece.
Play again! Thanks for posting these for us.

Regarding the dog collar...it would look lovely on our little black rescue Brussel Griffon, Lupanella!!!!! She would LOVE it.

The third Art nouveau piece is, for me, beautiful. (I'd make it into a pin - so I could wear it on a winter coat.)

Thank you thank you thank you - more, please!

The last piece looks earlier? I'm feeling Art Nouveau in the second piece only. The first piece could be older if the diamonds are rose cut - I like the first piece with a little black dress - Oh La La!!!!

I think #1 & 2 are XX century. None of the 3 have classic Art Nouveau lines to me, but #2 is arranged in an Art Nouveau shape, so that would be the one I chose as closest. #3 looks like it might be much older with a natural pearl (what is it presenting?) and #2 looks like conch pearls. The diamonds and pearls in the first piece make me think of the dresses and jewlery of pre WWI and it looks European to me.

Back