Help with Identifying Inherited Double Strand of Pearls

PennyC940

Hello! I have inherited a double strand of pearls that I am quite ignorant about. I'm hoping you can help tell me if they are worth having appraised or not.

1. Grittiness They feel very smooth to the finger touch, but I sense a slight roughness when I pass them on my teeth.

2. Photographs are attached. I have no box for these and no tags.

20140623_134400.jpg20140623_134340.jpg20140623_134328.jpg20140623_134322.jpg20140623_134312.jpg20140623_134307.jpg

3. History: These were my grandmothers, and were a gift from my grandfather somewhere in the 1940s. My grandfather was a WW2-Pacific veteran. It's possible he brought them back from there.

4. Markings: There is a 14K mark on the clasp, and another symbol that I can't quite identify.

5. Measurements: The smaller strand is 18" long, and the longer strand is 19.5" long. the largest pearls are 7mm and the smallest are 2mm.

Thank you SOOOOO much for your help. I'm not sure where to begin.

Yours truly,
Penny

Penny,

Welcome and thank you for sharing excellent photos and the lovely story of your Grandmother's gorgeous pearl necklace!

Everything in your story supports this being a cultured akoya pearl necklace: the slight color variation, the size graduation, beautiful 14K karat gold clasp, the provenance. Akoya pearls from this era have thicker nacre as the pearls were not harvested as soon as is done these days.

The type of bead tip used to finish the necklace and enclose the knots are still available in karat gold, although gimp is often used now, so perhaps these pearls have never been restrung. The knotting seems to be in good shape and not stretched out. Do you have any photos of your Grandmother wearing these?

We seldom see double strands and these are a very wearable length. (Often vintage strands are short.) From the photos it is difficult to see the quality of the pearls, but the value could possibly be from $1000-2000, so for insurance purposes you might want to get an official appraisal.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pearls! I hope you will wear them often and enjoy telling their story. You can find care instructions under that topic here, too.

Back