HELP PLZ ! Need to appraise Bahraini Pearls.

Don D.

Hello Folks !

So I'm looking to sell an estate piece that's been in my family for 5 decades. The piece contains old mine cut diamonds and two emeralds and the necklace is made up of Bahraini pearls. I've taken it to several local appraisers and jewelers and I'm met with the same response "I'm only interested in the diamonds. These (pointing at pearls) are worth nothing" Which is frustrating because I try to explain to them that they're natural pearls and that they no longer exist in the wild etc. etc.

I'm starting a business with my wife and we could really use the money but I don't want to get short changed on the count someone's ignorance or lack of interest in the true value of the pearls so I've decided to hold out.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of who might be able to appraise the pearls or where I can find an interested party in purchasing them I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a ton :)

Also this is my first post on a forum - ever. So forgive me if I lack the proper decorum.

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Let me direct you here: GO HERE-. There are good instructions on how to properly post when seeking guidance. Looking forward to learning more about your necklace!

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Let me direct you here: GO HERE-. There are good instructions on how to properly post when seeking guidance. Looking forward to learning more about your necklace!

While this guidance is good a couple of suggestions to help would be:

1) If you really believe them to be natural pearls then you should obtain a laboratory report to prove that to everyone you show them to so that there is clear information for the buyer to see. Will make discussions much easier! Whether the pearls are worth testing is another matter and that is where the guidance above helps as members here can give you some idea whether it is worth the risk/effort.
2) Visit one of the jewellery departments of a major auction house if you have one near you and see what their gemologist(s) think. Then you will have an idea from someone/some people who have hopefully handled such pearls before.

Good luck!

Back