Help Please

Caitlin - I saw the laTendresse (?) coin pearls as part of the display/education material held by the GIA lab in their HK office - not anywhere for sale. They weren't spectacular, but as happened throughout the whole GIA course, it was inferred that their production was a significant part of CFW stock around the world. (Sorry, I digress).
The pearl in the pic looks like a chinese one to me, I only thought of the American connection given the question earlier by Dave as to whether the american pearl co had ever produced coin pearls.

Dave - I am sure the Latendresse coins would be nucleated.
Nerida. Significant part? That sounds outrageous. Unless they have a few big CFWP farms- in China. There is nothing that big in the US. Sorry. Maybe this will come up again in another topic. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks guys for your help, regardless of when or where it originated I'm happy to own it! :)

If you want to know if the pearl is natural vs cultured, you can send it in for a pearl report from GIA. I have to agree that the ring was probably reused for the pearl and not made specially for it, so it can't be counted on for authentication. The pearl is pretty, so enjoy it. :)

I do enjoy it......and it doesnt matter to me what it is......as for a replacement for another stone in the ring......not according to my jeweler who is also a goldsmith, and has inspected the setting closely. I would not bother with the GIA because the pearl would not be worth the cost seeing its just a freshwater pearl.

Back