Help Please! Is this Real ?

chris mcq

Can someone please take a look at these pictures and give me some guidance ?
I have this Pearl Necklace that was given to me around 20 years ago. Its on a 14K Gold Necklace and 14K Holding the pearls but I've no Idea where to start when it comes to pearls, I can't trust a jewelers so it would be great if you lovely people of pearl-guide would take a quick look and try answering my questions :eek:.. Is this a Akoya Pearl ? Fake / Real ? Rough Price ?
hh.jpg
n.jpg
Pearls are 5 x 5mm // 1 x 6mm // 1 x 3mm
They all seem to be in good condition and have a very nice Rose/Pink tint.

Thankyou In Advance! ;)

As the setting is older 14K gold it is likely the pearls are cultured akoya pearls. Freshwater pearls were not that round 20 years ago. Fake pearls would probably not have been placed in such a valuable setting.

If still in doubt you can rub one very gently against the edge of your front tooth...it should feel a little gritty. Or you can look at the pearls with a 10x loupe (if you don't have one, visit a jeweler and ask to use theirs.) Real pearls have very smooth appearance at that magnification, while imitation pearls look coarse, somewhat like orange peel.

The majority of the value of that item is the gold. But it's very pretty!

We can't tell you what it is worth. There is "replacement value" for insurance purposes (you'd have to get an appraiser to value it), and there is the (much lower) reselling value. You could look on eBay etc. to see sold items like that and see what they sold for, but it looks pretty unique; I've personally never seen anything quite like it.

Hmm, looking again it looks like a grape leaf and grape cluster. So you could use "grapes" or something similar to search.

Here are a few for comparison:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...dant+14k+(grape,grapes,cluster)&_sacat=164333

Last edited:
Back