Help needed

browny

Gosh we feel stupid but we have bought a cultured pearl set and one of the pearls on the earring is a touch smaller than the other one … is this right … ?

Typically well-matched pearls will be very close to exact. It really depends on the company standards. A variance of .2 mm is considered normal for matched pairs when buying loose matched, in my experience. If it is a noticeable difference, the variance may be higher. Do you have a photo?

As one of our members say - remember there is a head between the two pearls. You won't notice the difference when you wear them. And pearls are an organic gem so it's practically impossible to get them identical. The more you pay, the closer you can get, though.

I've spent the last couple of weeks making pairs. The frustration when you find a perfect match for colour, overtones, luster and then see that one pearl is 1mm smaller.
We all know that 1mm will not be noticeable when there is a whole big face between the two pearls but when they sit there in the box...

I've spent the last couple of weeks making pairs. The frustration when you find a perfect match for colour, overtones, luster and then see that one pearl is 1mm smaller.
We all know that 1mm will not be noticeable when there is a whole big face between the two pearls but when they sit there in the box...
That's right! You are the member who says that about the head :D

Agreed, but isn't it cool when the earrings are a perfect match, or at least .1 to .3 off. Love it when that happens. When pearls are slightly off-round sometimes shifting the pearl to "just the right position" can make the two pearls look identical. Sometimes it's all about how they are mounted.

Hello guys! Hope you can provide your comments on this pearl. There are some rests of the glue by the hole, but anyway you can see kind of chipped cover. Is that normal? The pearl itself feels too smooth in my opinion. Can it be extra covered with smth? TIA

54177DE7-19D1-4AC4-8BB5-CD9C7E3B4032.jpeg
945CD1C9-8913-4258-953D-5F24F3F4A4FC.jpeg

Hello guys! Hope you can provide your comments on this pearl. There are some rests of the glue by the hole, but anyway you can see kind of chipped cover. Is that normal? The pearl itself feels too smooth in my opinion. Can it be extra covered with smth? TIA
What was you intended use for this pearl: a pendant? earring(s)? I would recommend a larger pearl cup to cover the damaged part. There are pendant findings with pearl cups 4mm 5mm and 6mm that would hid this damage.
The other option would be a "bead cap" if you intend to use this pearl in a necklace.
The pearl has a lovely luster.

It doesn't look like a "coating," it looks like the top layer of nacre is cracked, perhaps when drilling or when removing the old finding???

Last edited:
I agree, it does appear there may be some damage, however, the best thing to do prior to remounting is to remove the old adhesive. Do not grind, chip or sand!!! Instead, first try a little acetone on a cotton swab and gently swirl it over the glued area to remove any residue. If nothing comes off, you may need to use something stronger like Attack. Remember, wear protection for eyes, lungs and skin when using Attack. Acetone is a tad more mild, but you should still probably wear gloves. It also looks like there is a natural "circle" at the very top of the pearl that was chosen for the drill site. I have a pair that have a similar appearance at what will become the drill hole site and will be covered by the mounting.

tempImagenZnMc9.png
IMG_7296.JPG

Back